2003 Johnson 50 Power Pack problems

scuba.speed417

Recruit
Good afternoon,

I have a 2003 Johnson 50, 2stroke, oil injected. My top cylinder will stop firing, sometimes intermittently, but usually completely quits after the engine has been run for a few minutes. The power pack was replaced and lasted about an hour. I have tried a stator, new coils, checked my grounds, and replaced the power pack yet again and the issue will not go away! Sometimes it will run on both and sometimes not. There seems to be no pattern of failure here. Can someone please help me? I'm somewhat novie to outboard repair, but I do have a few tools.

scuba.speed417

Recruit
Re: 2003 Johnson 50 Power Pack problems

Good afternoon,

I have a 2003 Johnson 50, 2stroke, oil injected. My top cylinder will stop firing, sometimes intermittently, but usually completely quits after the engine has been run for a few minutes. The power pack was replaced and lasted about an hour. I have tried a stator, new coils, checked my grounds, and replaced the power pack yet again and the issue will not go away! Sometimes it will run on both and sometimes not. There seems to be no pattern of failure here. Can someone please help me? I'm somewhat novie to outboard repair, but I do have a few tools.

Novice*

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Have you replaced the timer base ??

scuba.speed417

Recruit

Have you replaced the timer base ??

Thanks for your reply and the answer to that is no. I pulled the flywheel and noticed the top of the timer base is actually damaged. I asked the mechanic that had my boat about it and he stated: "Ive never seen one of those go bad." I can see a little copper in the damaged area. Should I go ahead and order one? Or is there an easy way to test it?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

To test it properly you need a multimeter with a dva adapter. You'd be checking cranking output and ohmmetic value. Hasn't your mechanic got this equipment?? If not, find another mechanic.