Johnson td 20 1946-49

nick4203

Seaman Apprentice
how touchy are the water pumps on these things?

on the housing the circle is kinda pristine but where the finger on the impeller is and goes in to the housing has some little grooves going up and down in the little slot with the way the impeller goes mabe sand got in there at one point i dunno but over all it looks to be in decent shape

ill get some pics up shortly

and if any one has any information to this motor id be happy to hear it thanks all

Re: Johnson td 20 1946-49

You can tell if your water pump is working by looking to see if a small amount of water is coming out of a fitting that is just below the block on the handle side of the motor. There is a fitting that comes out of the bottom of the block below the lower cylinder which is connected to a tube that goes to another fitting at the top of the exhaust housing. At this second fitting there is a very small hole. If your water pump is working, water should be coming out of this hole. These holes can sometimes get plugged so you might take a small wire and make sure that it is clear. For more info on TD20s run tons of Google searches and also check out aomci.org.

nick4203

Seaman Apprentice

it was kinda sputering but the impeller was very hard and not pliable at all im hopeing a new impeller fixes it but was just wondering i ordered up one yesterday so i will see next week sometime i hope it pumps water i want to be out trolling for trout and do some bass fishing soon

I know what you're going through The water that comes out at idle speed is not very much. It's not at all like the modern outboards that shoot a steady steam. It sort of spurts out due to exhaust pressure. Once you're going at mid speed or higher, the water coming out should be noticably more. Your right to be wondering about how pliable the water pump is. They should be pliable and the old ones grow hard and work much less efficiently. I've ordered a few new ones and a couple were just as hard as the old one. I think I got new old stock which were decades old although they were never used. I bought one from this web site and it is nice and pliable - although I haven't installed it yet. www.chrystine.com/impellers/index.html. Best of luck and hope you get out on the lake!

nick4203

Seaman Apprentice

yea i think i got a new old stock one i hope its soft! i seen that web site for the other ones as well i may have to see about getting one from them. kinda worried anout the slow speed water pumping because i want to start trolling and dont want to over heat the motor

nick4203

Seaman Apprentice

n.o.s. new old stock water impeller working great pumping like a pro even at the lowest idle setting!