Lower unit seal replacement?

calvinyonce

Cadet
I just replaced the all the seals in the lower unit of my 1975 25hp evinrude. I did not replace the bushing and seal for the shift rod. Is this going to matter, I know it was kind of lazy but I did not have the right tool for it. I replaced all other seals and put a new water pump and impeller in. Everything seems to be running great and checked the oil after running it for about an hour, no water. I think the prop seal was what may have been leaking but I didnt do any pressure tests or anything like that.

lindy46

Captain
Re: Lower unit seal replacement?

Keep an eye on it to make sure water is not getting in. I'd say on the ones I have to reseal, 60% of the time the shift rod O-ring leaks.

WernerF

Petty Officer 1st Class

... I'd say on the ones I have to reseal, 60% of the time the shift rod O-ring leaks.

Good to know from someone with experience. Is this also true for the '80s and '90s LUs?

calvinyonce

Cadet

I will take your advice and keep an eye on it. I will probably tear it back down this winter and reseal it with all the seals. This is the first time I have attempted anything like this so it was a learning experience. Thank you for the information.