63 40 hp johnson electramatic

corzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok guys, trying to figure out some solenoid/wireing on this motor. ive been reading and looking at diagrams and have finaly figured out that the solenoid is mounted outside the cowl in a box...what can i use for this box? my motor didn't come with it, just the electronic controller and un hooked up wireing...ive been reading about some real expensive switch for this engine, i take it i dont have that switch? or is it inside the throttle body???

also, i have a solenoid off of my old jett boat, 90 hp merc, will it work on this engine? has 2 big and 2 small posts...

another question is how can i find the water intake? this is set up for long shaft, so has the extension above the anti cavitation plate...(think i might need a new impeller)

thanks guys

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 63 40 hp johnson electramatic

The box you are talking about housed the starter solenoid and the voltage regulator. You can wire a solenoid to start it but the charging system woun't work without a regulator. Go to the top of the page and look in the "Top Secret File", there is a list of salvage yards there, maybe one of them can help you out with the parts you need. I think the switchyou are talking about is the shift switch, it is located in the control that has the throttle lever.
The water intake is hanging down behind the prop on the cavation plate.

corzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok great thanks davie ill look into getting an old one, should be some marine junk yards near port huron (only half hr from me, just have to cross the ol border)

corzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

can someone send me the link to the correct voltage regulator on here? theres a bunch that come up when i searched and ranged from like 30 to 250 bucks...
thanks

corzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i was also going to ask how i could test a solenoid without hooking it to the boat... positive from the batt to one small post, neg from batt to other small post then check resistance between the 2 big posts...should be 0 ohms ....correct?
if not, then lil help?
thanks

corzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

tested my 2 extra solenoids like i was asking, and they worked fine, you can hear them click when you put the power to the small posts...and very low resistance between the big ones during...
still need to know what voltage regulator im going to need? i found a good J box with 2 windows at work, so ill mount the VR and solenoid in that baby and we should be good to go...
anyone know which regulator i need???
also, does it matter if you use solid wire or not for wiring on the boat? obviously other than the battery cables, just wondering which grade of cable to use.
thanks

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

The part number for the regulator is 377001, which was replaced by 381538. 100 bucks. The other types will not work with a DC generator like you have. The original battery cable is 4 gauge. 16 gauge for most everything else. 10 gauge for the generator.
All stranded wire. Too much vibration for solid stuff.

corzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My motor doesn't have a generator...theres an open space for one to fit in though, but no generator...
glad the wires are stranded, lots of that stuff kicking around thanks...

do you know what regulator i need for my motor?
the model number is RK-25D and the serial number is C379622
and why am i having so much trouble finding this part????

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

If you do not have a generator, then you do not need a regulator.

corzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

oh really? then how is the battery charged? i know my old jet boat used a magneto, but it also had a voltage regulator (didn't htinkg there was a generator on that guy either...)
another question ive got is about the shifter...can you explain how it works? the push rod on the throttle conects to the side of the motor and it only seems to be neutral and forward (by maunally pushing it with my hand) if you push it all the way back i would call that neutral, then it kind of jumps into gear when you push it forward a bit...then you can keep pushing it which i would think is giving it gas, but since theres electric throttle, why does it do this?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

The generator is what charges the battery. No generator, no battery charging. This motor does not have a charge stator. The flywheel magnet only runs the ignition coils. The only thing the battery runs is the electric starter and shift coils. A fully charged battery will run that motor for a few days without a problem.
The remote control (shifter/throttle) does 2 things. It has the electric switch for the electric gearcase (Forward and reverse) that runs 12 volts back to the gearcase on either the green (Fwd) or the blue (reverse) wire that runs from the motor to the remote control. The shifter also has the mechanical throttle cable to "give it gas"

corzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok thats great, i have an on board charger that ill just hook up for when i get back to keep the battery charged (not sure if i would have been able to figure out how to wire up the generator, the diagrams look pretty intimidating)

ok so for the shifter then, when is it in neutral...and your saying that the mechanical cable that goes back to the port side of the motor and connects to the linkage (not sure what its called) gives it gas? doesn't look like its anywhere near the carb?
thanks a lot whaler

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

The throttle (gas) cable does a couple of things. The cable is hooked up through a couple of linkages to advance the magneto plate under the flywheel for ignition timing and also partly controls the opening of the carb. butterfly.

corzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes i should have checked before posting...there is a small linkage that goes to the carb for gas...started the engine again today and got it in deeper water, ran off and on for about 10 min, kinda rough, but it was hard to control by myself without the controls hooked up...just wondering how much water should be exhausting? the engine didn't get too hot, could put my hand on the cylinders, was hot but not too hot that i couldn't hold my hand on it...there was water coming from the exhaust, not a whole bunch though, not sure how much it should be, seemed to be about the same as my ol 15 hp, maybe a bit less..
i was also getting gas out of the choke butterfly valve, could this be from getting too much gas in the bowl? the one cork gasket that butts up to the bottom of the bowl was kinda crappy when i had it apart, would that cause the overfilling? and can i get just that gasket on here?
thanks again, you certainly know your johnson 40
and every time i look around at where the wires come and go, its starting to make more sense of how it all works.