Evinrude 150 won't get on plane.

masher

Cadet
I started having engine trouble the other day,I replaced the fuel lines under the cowling,and the primer bulb, and the lines from bulb to sep, and sep to engine.I also replaced the fuel filter under the cowling, and sprayed a can of decarb, but I'm still having issues.
At idle it runs good, in gear it seems to run a little rough at low speed,I can get on plane gradually, but if I try to nail it I get no response at all.My shifter seems to be really tight or needs some lube,in neutral I can rev it fine, but when pushed in and in gear pushing it forward is really tight, I don't know if it has any bearing on the issue.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: Evinrude 150 won't get on plane.

You may want to disconnect the shift linkage, start the motor up and see id it shifts into gear by hand (while motor is running). Then give it some throttle. That will tell us if it is a lower unit issue or a linkage problem. You may just need a new linkage cable. Check it out and report back.

James R

Commander

You probably have two issues here. You can disconnect the shift cable at the motor and try shifting manually at the motor. If it shifts easily then discount the lower unit. If it is stiff then look to the lower unit oil. If there has been a leak it could be dry.
Check the cylinders for firing by using heavy rubber gloves and pulling the spark wires off the plugs one at a time. You could have one or more cylinders not firing. When were the carbs last serviced? Are the compressions good?Are you getting sparks at all cylinders?

masher

Cadet

Thanks,I'll check spark tomorrow,I haven't noticed any lower unit oil leakage,I just put a qt in last week,I did a compression test on sat all cyl were 90-94.I did notice that the vacuum hose is cracked might that cause a problem?,and one of the shift cables has got green corrosion all over the shaft that goes into the piston looking thing. I have a feeling it might be the cable, but would that cause the engine to not rev when throttle is pushed?,or run rough at low speed?.
The carbs haven't been serviced in over 10 years, it was running good on sat then I backed off throttle and started bogging intermittently and I brought it in.

James R

Commander

What year and model motor do you have. The 60* motors run around 90PSI but if it is a standard motor then either your gauge is incorrect or you need a rebuild. The carbs definitely need rebuilding.