1965 evinrude lark 40 cant get her to turn over with key

shew01

Recruit
hello anyone, this is a new thing for me soooo here we go. got and evinrude 1965 40 lark, electric shift, wont engage starter with key, got a wiring diagram off this sight VERY helpful, selenoid has two large post and two small, all wiring looks correct, thought the original selenoid was bad so bought a replacement with same numbers as original, installed, does same thing as before NOTHING, starter turns her over fine when i jump the two large terminals, got power to the small terminal after i turm switch to start position,no power to left side small terminal when switch is on, thought that might be the ground the wire attached to that goes to a cut out switch on motor, then to a safety switch, on top of motor, i cant get the selenoid to click, or make a sound, im mechanically incline, but no nothing about outboards, worked on this for hrs now with no advancement, still at ground zero,bought this 1966 starcraft with this original 40 hp it looks like new i really want to keep this vintage motor on this boat. any help would be fantastic, thanks mike

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1965 evinrude lark 40 cant get her to turn over with key

Use a jumper wire on the small terminal of the solenoid that goes to the saftey switch and go directly to a ground on the block.
If the engine turns over you have a problem with the wiring or the saftey switch.

shew01

Recruit

thanks ill go give it a try i already used a jumper wire to go from that terminal to the batt ground but ill try grounding to the block

shew01

Recruit

no go im afraid, still nothing