50 hp johnson not charging battery

gunmud

Recruit
I have 1999 50 hp Johnson and I have two questions. First off it is pushing a 26 foot pontoon. I noticed that when I purchased it that when I have the throttle wide open and pushed up all the way at the controls, the carb still has some throttle left on it. I adjusted the linkage to where when the control gave it full throttle it made the carb wide open. I didn't really notice anything in the speed of the boat. Was it that way from the factory or did I do right? The other question is does this motor charge the battery. I checked it when it's running with a volt meter and I'm getting nothing coming out from the leads off the motor. I also checked it across the battery and it's at 12 volts. Is there a part I need to replace for it to charge the battery or is it not equiped to do that? Thanks for any help.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 50 hp johnson not charging battery

At wide open throttle the butterfly in the carb should be completely open.
You should have a rectifier on your engine to control the charging system, you need to check it out and see if it is faulty.

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: 50 hp johnson not charging battery

Disconnect the battery cables at the battery and clean them well; read voltage of the battery without the engine running then reconnect the cables and start the engine and run around the lake for a few minutes and recheck the voltage at the battery if it is higher than engine off you are charging; if not you probably need a new rectifier. Good luck