1975 Johnson 85HP--Tach Question

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer
Does anyone know where the tachometer connection is on the engine?

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1975 Johnson 85HP--Tach Question

Most all tachs hook to one of the Charging coil wires, from under the flywheel, at the rectifieror term. strip.
Oldman570

yangmangeek

Recruit

If its similar to the '75 Evinrude 85hp and the controls.... There will be a grey wire running from the motor through the electrical connection that goes to the control box. Mine was just capped off once I got the control box open. Splice that line in with your grey wire and you'll be good to go (fyi... try to keep the routing of that tach wire away from main battery wiring that's also hooked up to the motor. Sometimes you can get weird interference from those wires as well as fish finder transducer cables, trolling motor cables, etc.).

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

yan is correct. The factory left a grey wire stub inside the control box. It is the signal wire to drive the tach. If you split the control box halves, you will see a hole drilled at the bottom of the (both) case halves, so that you can pull that grey wire out of that hole in the box to connect to the tach. Adjust the needle on the back of the tach to #6.

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the replies...they definitely give me a direction to go :)

I will post up some pics later.