Automotive style ignition?

mokanwarrior

Cadet
I have completed this conversion and still have a starting issue. I have a nice blue spark at he the plug but the engine still wont start. It almost acts like timing but I'm not sure. I poured a little gas directly into the cylinders and it still would not fire. Any deas? Thanks in advance. BTW its a 71 Johnson 60hp.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Automotive style ignition?

What is the conversion you have done? Without knowing this , there is no way to speculate. For safety reasons, automotive parts do not belong anywhere near a boat.

mokanwarrior

Cadet

What is the conversion you have done? Without knowing this , there is no way to speculate. For safety reasons, automotive parts do not belong anywhere near a boat.[/QU

What I have done is eliminate power pack/amplifiier with a common coil/condesor. I attached that directly to points pick up and I have a nice blue spark at the spark plug but still doesnt like to start. I do understand your concern regarding automotive parts, however this boat is used on a very small fresh water lake near my home and is never operated by anyone but myself.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Will the spark jump a 1/4 " open air gap on a spark tester ?? I have also heard of this being done and it worked.

mokanwarrior

Cadet

Yes it will. After attempting some further diagnosing last night I determined that the starter will need to be rebuilt/replaced before I can continue. It just seems to drag too much even with a new battery. So once that completed I will report back. Thanks again for your replies.

mokanwarrior

Cadet

Ok new starter is working great but still wont start. I even gone as far as using starting fluid and still no start. Like I said earlier I do have spark but maybe its too weak? Possibly a timing issue? I'm very close to the point of taking it to a profesional but I'm afraid as soon as they see the conversion they will instantly tell me to fly a kite! Thanks again all.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

A dumb question. What have you got the points set at ? Are the plug wires going to the correct cyl's ?

mokanwarrior

Cadet

No such thing as a dumb question. Points are set at factory spec and plug wires are correct.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Did you verify timing is correct? If not set the motor to TDC using a screwdriver thru the top spark plug hole. Now observe timing marks. They should be very near matching at TDC. If so, put timing light on top cylinder and crank motor. See if spark occurs a bit before TDC. Since the motor won't pop, I suspect timing is way off. Maybe flywheel key is sheared?

orbanp

Petty Officer 1st Class

You need compression, fuel, and ignition for an engine to run.
Have you checked the compression?
Instead of starting fuel, just squirt mixture into the throats of the carburetors (it also has oil int).
And is the spark at the right time as others asked before? You also might want to clean the spark plugs.

Peter

mokanwarrior

Cadet

Plugs are new and the timing shouldn't have changed. I put all the stock parts back on it and sending it to a pro. Thanks anyway.