1974 Evinrude 85 Shift Cable

wbelk7777

Cadet
I was working on my pontoon (it has a 1974 Evinrude 85 85493B) today, trying to get the remote control to shift smoothly. I tried to get it to shift to into neutral, but it would not engage. I could go forward, but I could not get it to go into neutral or reverse. I disconnected the shifter cables from the engine, but the shift lever still would only go into forward (though it was very stiff). Is there a way to clean and lubricate the shifter cables or do I just need to replace them. If I need to replace them, what model shift cable should I get?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1974 Evinrude 85 Shift Cable

I have never had any success freeing up stickey cables, you might as well replace them. Take the old cables for lenth and check with your local dealer for new cables.
EDIT: Forgot to mention, I think that year used 400 series cables.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1974 Evinrude 85 Shift Cable

The cables changed in 1979, so you need the early ones. You can look up the original cables on the factory website: epc.brp.com. Look under the accessories section for your model year, then in the remote controls page. It lists all the lengths. Possible the part numbers supercede, but the dealer will help you.