Gotta question about '68 Evinrude shifter on '72 Johnson Motor!

shotnva7

Cadet
The title pretty much says it all!

I'm wondering if I can use the shifter off a 1968 Evinrude 55hp Triumph, on a 1972 Johnson 100hp!?

I haven't gotten into looking at what their "linkage" looks like and such, so any help here is greatly appreciated, as I need this 100hp on my project boat! (Its highly under powered and the only thing wrong with the 100 horse is the "electronic shifter"....

They both look different, as the smaller Evinrude has a "push button" style and the Johnson is more of a "modern" style?

....ANY HELP is GREATLY appreciated, once again!

Here's the pics of the shifters and their corresponding motors! (Pardon the photos and their quality!)

IMAG2787.jpg

IMAG2788.jpg

IMAG2791.jpg

IMAG2792.jpg

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gotta question about '68 Evinrude shifter on '72 Johnson Motor!

Both engines have the Hydro Electric Shift lower units so, although the switches appear differently in design Push Button vs Toggle, the circuitry of the switches would be the same BUT notice that the Evinrude control box states "Selectric" shift which pertains to the older type straight electric shift that began in 1962, NOT the later Hydro Electric shift models that existed from 1968 to 1972.

The outward appearance of the Straight electric shift switches and the Hydro Electric shift switches look identical BUT the inner circuitry of the two type shift systems differ within the switches.

The fact that the Evinrude "Selectric" control box is paired with the 1968 55hp model leads me to believe that a Hydro Electric shift switch has been installed within that control box..... BUT check the circuitry to be sure.

For the Push Button Switch to function properly on the later model 1972 100hp model, the circuitry (voltages or ohm readings) must be as follows:

In Forward = No voltage to the Green or Blue wire. (No Continuity)
In Neutral = Voltage only to the Green wire. (Continuity to Green wire only)
In Reverse = Voltage to both the Green and Blue wire. (Continuity to both the Green and Blue wires)

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Actually, Evinrude did label some of the early hydro-electric control boxes with "Selectric", just to totally screw us up 40 years later. Here's the '68 hydro-electric box:

39857.gif

shotnva7

Cadet

Kinda confused, not on what y'all SAID persay..... But on why the plugs under "the hood" look different!

Do I just switch out the boxes themselves or do I need to cut the end of the plug and splice it in?

The "square" plug is "under the hood" on the 55hp Evinrude, the shifter I want to use. And the BIG "round" plug is off the motor I want to use, the Johnson 100 (also "under the hood"....

....here's the photos!

IMAG2795.jpg

IMAG2796.jpg

shotnva7

Cadet

I guess what I'm asking is do I just cut n splice the plugs in? Or MUST I find a whole 'nother shifter now?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Apparently someone has done as "Mickey Mouse" job on the 55hp model as both engines should have had the large round electrical plug.

All I can do is to advise you to make sure that the pushbutton switch is the proper Hydro Electric switch as per my previous reply, BUT as far as cutting, spicing, whatever to make it function with your controls.... that will need to be your judgement call.

shotnva7

Cadet

Apparently someone has done as "Mickey Mouse" job on the 55hp model as both engines should have had the large round electrical plug.

All I can do is to advise you to make sure that the pushbutton switch is the proper Hydro Electric switch as per my previous reply, BUT as far as cutting, spicing, whatever to make it function with your controls.... that will need to be your judgement call.

Edit: Sorry Joe, another Q! lol... When you say "test" the wires per the colors you have given me.... do you mean "under the hood" or in the control box itself???

Thanks Joe! What do you mean by "proper" though?? Whomever did the "rig" on the plug did a good job I suppose, as it all functions PERFECTLY and the 55 runs FLAWLESSLY! It's just highly "under-powering" my boat!

What do YOU think though Joe? I'm good at wiring just about ANYTHING, as my Pop's is an electrician and I've rewired my entire "boat project" to perfection! Do I just match the wiring colors on the plug? I feel like If I just cut off the entire plug on the Johnson (the round black one) and "hack in" the other shifter/control using the square plug it'll work! I've gone over the wire colors and they all seem to be the same....?

I'm not really sure what my best option is here! I REALLY LIKE the push button controls, as I feel it gives me just that.... MORE CONTROL! I just don't want to jack anything up! But I guess if it DIDN'T work, I could just splice it right back to the same 'ol 55!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Test the switch contunity readings at the switch itself.

Why cut off the black electrical plug? If you're going to splice into that wiring harness, splice in ahead of the plug.

When I say proper.... I'm referring to restoring the engine to its original factory condition with the proper parts etc. However, I'm aware that due to the unavailability of parts that exists that certain makeship repairs need to be performed. As long as one knows exactly what they're doing with the circuitry, it presents no problem other than the appearance. No negative reflection upon your intelligence was intended.

shotnva7

Cadet

Test the switch contunity readings at the switch itself.

Why cut off the black electrical plug? If you're going to splice into that wiring harness, splice in ahead of the plug.

When I say proper.... I'm referring to restoring the engine to its original factory condition with the proper parts etc. However, I'm aware that due to the unavailability of parts that exists that certain makeship repairs need to be performed. As long as one knows exactly what they're doing with the circuitry, it presents no problem other than the appearance. No negative reflection upon your intelligence was intended.

No negativity here Joe, I really appreciate your help my man! You've helped alot!

Ok so don't cut at the plug..... I just now looked inside of the two shifters, not really sure EXACTLY what I'm looking at tho! :/

So here's the plan I guess:

Cut off the wires on the "selectronic" shifter (with some room to play incase I can't figure it out!) And splice in THAT shifter and ignition on to the big Johnson that RIGHT NOW holds the "hydro-electric drive" shifter - after I cut those wires as well, of course! This is really my only option as I'm a LITTLE BROKE right now. I plan to rebuild the carbs, lower unit (water pump), and replace any wires under the hood that look messed up. I have to have the motor running well before I mess with the shifter I suppose! As the guy that sold it to me didn't have much info.... The shifter could very well work!

Here's one more Q for ya Joe! Haha... Will the wires going into the 1968 55hp 'Rude match up with the wires on the 1972 Johnson 100??

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Here's one more Q for ya Joe! Haha... Will the wires going into the 1968 55hp 'Rude match up with the wires on the 1972 Johnson 100??

They should as both lower units are Hydro Electric Shift units and the wiring harnesses are identical in their color coding. That is........

Green wire from shift switch to Green shift wire on 100hp.

Blue wire from shift switch to Blue wire on 100hp.

Purple wire from shift switch... (Usually a purple wire but whatever wire is attached to the battery (+) terminal of the shift switch) to whatever terminal of the ignition switch has voltage applied to it ONLY when the key is in the ON or START position. Obviously you DO NOT want voltage going to the shift switch when it is in the OFF position!

shotnva7

Cadet

They should as both lower units are Hydro Electric Shift units and the wiring harnesses are identical in their color coding. That is........

Green wire from shift switch to Green shift wire on 100hp.

Blue wire from shift switch to Blue wire on 100hp.

Purple wire from shift switch... (Usually a purple wire but whatever wire is attached to the battery (+) terminal of the shift switch) to whatever terminal of the ignition switch has voltage applied to it ONLY when the key is in the ON or START position. Obviously you DO NOT want voltage going to the shift switch when it is in the OFF position!

Gotcha Joe and again, thank you for your help! Come to find out, it shifts PERFECTLY!? And runs rather well too! Even the water pump still works, so now that I know what I'm working with, I can FINALLY dig into the actual motor! That being said, here's what I've done:

- Took off carbs and I plan to let them soak in a Carb cleaning solution tomorrow
- After the soak, jets and ports will be cleaned thoroughly with a "bread tie" and Carb cleaner with "nozzle"
- Bowl will be cleaned out and inspected, all gaskets and hoses will be replaced
- After the Carb cleaning and "rebuild" I am going to replace ALL hoses within the engines system (as 15yrs of sitting doesn't fair well to OLD hoses!)
- Then when hoses/wires have been replaced (1-2 corroded ground wires that look terrible!) and the Carb rebuild, I'm going to go into the lower unit!
- The lower unit will have a new gasket put on, as well as be inspected for any "damaged" components (I'm highly doubting there is any though!) I'm really just doing it to change the gasket and replace my fluid down there! (I have a place around me that sells the correct type!)

And then lastly, I plan to run a good Seafoam cleaning through the entire motor! Clean out anything I missed and any carbon buildup!

.... My last question (for now! Lol!) Mr. Reeves would be.... Haha!

Anything else u would or could recommend me to do? I'm also going to THOUROUGHLY clean and paint the block and head as well, flat black, with some engine enamel or something for high temps. I like having a clean looking motor! Haha!