1993 50HP Evinrude - Water pressure gauge connection?

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer
I was working on the motor yesterday and found a (small) disconnected hose. Turns out it's for my water pressure gage. I looked around for quite a while but could not figure out where it connects. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Eric

My motor is model VE50TLETF

PS. I scrutinized the telltale line and did not see any connection along it (though it was hard to see the connect point, so I may have missed something). The hoses are very different sizes, and the small hose to the gage does appear to have been connected to something at sometime. When the motor runs I do not see any water inside the engine cover, so I was thinking maybe it's air pressure that actuates this, but I'm just grasping at straws now.

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1993 50HP Evinrude - Water pressure gauge connection?

Some of those gauges were "Td" into the telltale line. How long have you had this mtr ??

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

I've only had it three years. Gage has never worked. No sign of a T.

Motor has had its VRO removed and replaced with a fuel pump, so I know it's been worked on.

Is there much back-pressure on the telltale? I was thinking the line was so big (and line to gage so small), that maybe there would not be enough pressure there. But then again, the number does not have to be right, just there to watch in case it changes.

Thank you for your reply.

Eric

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Another thought. You could dead head the gauge right into the telltale and keep an eye on the pressure gauge.

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

Interesting idea... I might try that just for fun. But that's also a great spot to try a T to see if it would work.

Thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Get back to us with the results.

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

Will do. I'll have to pull it out of the big old grommet at the front of the motor, but it should reach once it's out.

If my carburetor rebuild is a success, I'll be trying it this weekend.

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

Well that worked very well. The 1/8" ID line to the water pressure gauge fit perfectly inside the 1/4" ID tell tale line. At idle the gauge read about 6 and at about 3000 RPM it read about 12. I don't like the idea of not having the telltale, and I don't like chopping things up either, so I came up with this idea:

IMG_1918.jpg

I found this "universal T" that has 3 sizes of barb on each "leg", 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4". My next thing to try is use the T, without modification, to see if provides enough back pressure. Also, bought the brass barb just in case it might fit in a spot on the water jacket (long shot I know).

I also found a place on the water jacket that might be a place for another connection. I did not have the right tool to see if the plug will come up (and the head looks a bit bad), but if it does, it might be an even more elegant solution. Note: It's the circled spot on the right, but in looking at the photo, maybe the circle on the left might be a place too (and this would mean no 90 in the line).

IMG_1895a.jpg