1998 Johnson FICHT 115hp V4 Ocean Runner - stalling out at temp.

mist3rbl4ck

Recruit
002 (3).jpg003 (3).jpg

I purchased a boat with a 1998 Johnson FICHT 115hp V4 Ocean Runner (model# J115FSLECS) aware that it was having some problems. The previous owner described the problem that the engine would cut out when it gets to temperature. I have run it and confirmed that it will run forever at idle, but only for a short time WOT (like 5-10 minutes), then it stalls out. An alarm buzzing (?) can be heard in the engine (not the dash). The engine can be restarted only after letting it cool down (2-3 minutes), but then will cut out almost immediately when throttle is applied. The previous owner seemed to think that it needed a new rectifier/regulator.

I have the 1992-2001 Johnson/Evinrude Repair Manual and I'm looking to work with my mechanic to diagnose the problem, but am looking for a place to start... some thoughts:

1. I have heard bad things about the FICHT system, but that mostly applied to the larger motors, I think?
2. I have also heard that the OceanRunner was a carburated engine (not FICHT), but have attached the above pics.
3. Where would you start to diagnose this problem? I'm thinking of replacing the thermostat/temp. sensors as a first step?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Cheers!

mist3rbl4ck

Recruit
Re: 1998 Johnson FICHT 115hp V4 Ocean Runner - stalling out at temp.

... Sorry, I forgot to mention in the first post that my mechanic took it out and experienced the same problem, but was able to manually confirm that the engine was not actually overheating. He was able to re-start and then apparently ran it with no issues after that. Since I picked it up from him, I've had it out twice and experienced the a/m prolem both times.

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class

You need to be able to plug in the EVDiags and see if it is throwing any codes first of all. You need to check compression. You need to check for good spark on all cylinders. You need to be able to check system voltage. All of this is pretty hard without the Diags program. I think it would be worthwhile to take it to a dealer and pay them to troubleshoot it.

BTW, from the decals on the engine, this is a ficht. Look at the heads, if they have big things attached to them with a lot of hoses and such, it is definately a ficht. :)

boobie

Supreme Mariner

As said above, take it to a dlr and have him put it on a laptop to check for any codes. This aint the old days of carbed mtrs.

mist3rbl4ck

Recruit

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll take it to a dealer and get it scanned.

Cheers!

jfsegar

Cadet

mist3rbl4ck did you take to the dealer? What did they end up finding? My 98 Ficht 115 hp sounds like it is experiencing the same issues. Thanks.

mist3rbl4ck

Recruit

Yes, I took it to the dealer... It turns out that the previous owner had changed some parts and had the ECM re-flashed. Looks like the ECM needs to be re-programmed again! It's been running fine recently, but will not go wide open. I can only get about 4500 rpm out of it and then it acts like it's on a governor/limiter.
Anyway, I'm going to send off the ECM at the end of the season here (in October) so I don't lose three weeks of boating...

Cheers!

Haffiman

Commander

Do not believe it is any limiter set at that rpm in the EMM??
Do a fuel pressure test at max rpm as well as a timing verification procedure.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Do a cyl drop test on it to see if it's running on all the cyl's.

jfsegar

Cadet

I ended up dropping mine off at a dealer yesterday. They are a week or two behind but I'm going to be out of town for the next two weeks and wouldn't have a chance to work on it. Give me a carbed motorcycle engine and I'm fine - boat engines are new to me.

Thanks for the response and I'll let you know what they find in a few weeks.