200 hp Johnson 1997 won't idle

shamu25

Cadet
Just bought a 1997 200 hp Johnson carburated that has only 36 hours on it. It's been in the back of a guys shop all of these years. The original owner was not happy with it and now I know why. Runs great at mid to high speeds but at idle it runs rough and coughs and dies. Been through the carbs twice. New gaskets and seals to stop all vacuum leaks. Changed out the fuel/oil pump to rule that out. Compression is perfect on all cylinders. Tried a separate fuel supply from separate hose and tank. Timing is right on. Now wondering if it may electrical and if I should try a new power pack. Thoughts?

daselbee

Commander
Re: 200 hp Johnson 1997 won't idle

Been thru the carbs twice.....hmmmm.....

There are two critical areas to clean on that engine's carbs that most ppl miss.

First, when you took off the black carb body, and removed the fuel bowl, you should have noticed a small brass tube sticking down.
That tube must be absolutely clean and clear. I run a welder's tip cleaner up thru the tube, and watch at the side of the carb (where that 5 screw plate is) to see the tip cleaner come out in that passageway.

Suck on the little tube to be sure it is flowing air. It is easier to tell flow if you suck thru it vs blow thru it.

Second, you absolutely must clean the throttle bodies. Most ppl do not consider the throttle bodies as part of the carbs, but they are. If you buy a carb assy., you get the black bodies and the throttle plate.
There are six small plates screwed with 4 screws to the sides of the throttle bodies. Remove those plates, look in and you will see very very tiny holes that go thru to the venturi throat. I think I remember there being 4 very small ones, and two larger ones.
Clean those out with the smallest of the tip cleaning tool. Set your idle adj screws at 5 turns out from lightly seated, re-assemble making sure the o-ring doesn't shift wneh installing the black carb to the throttle plate.

Did you clean these two areas?

If anyone has messed with or changed the carbs on this motor to try to fix it, it is probable that they might have changed the black carb bodies and left the original throttle bodies. The throttle bodies and black carb bodies are generally not interchangeable...especially on the years prior to 1996. Keep in mind that you may have mismatched parts.....

shamu25

Cadet

Went through the carbs precisely as recommended above. Still no results. Replaced the shift eliminator switch and performance improved greatly but not totally fixed as it still coughs and stalls when at 600 rpm. Runs great from 1000rpm all the way to 5000rpm. Unplugged the charging circuit thereby isolating the rectifier and she runs smooth as silk. Have new rectifier on order. Does this make sense to anyone??

Haffiman

Commander

Buy an IR temp gun and check out the temp balance of the engine. One side hotter/colder, and you will be in trouble.
Check thermostats and valves. Is the quick-start function working?? (engine runs about 1200 rpm until reaches 32C)

daselbee

Commander

You state 600 rpms. You might want to bump it up to 750 or so to see if the sneeze goes away.

Also, re your rectifier question....you disconnect which wires to isolate the charging....which wires...the yellows or the red?
And when you disable the rectifier, you are saying your whole problem goes away...no more sneezing?

Please confirm that I have read your post right.

shamu25

Cadet

Finally gave up and bought a 250 Etec brand new. This 200 Johnson is going back to where it came from. Will only be out about $1200 but got a good deal on the etec and I am told that my 1997 200hp will be totally compatible with the new etec for controls, wiring, gauges and prop....a huge savings and only about 2 hours to rig it. Was also considering a 250 Verado but it's very hard to justify spending $7000 more. Thanks guys for all of your kind help but summer in MI is way to short to keep messing with an engine that shows no signs of ever running ok