1989 Evinrude 48 spl Weird timing Question

69starcraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I've been having a hella time trying to get her back together. Last year the powerpack went out, so I ordered a new one from Marineengine.com. Put it on and everything was fine until the 4th trip out. Then the motor wouldn't shut off. Turns out the Ground to kill circuit in the mallory ignition part failed internally.

SOOOO

I ordered the CDI electronics Upgrade kit with new charge coil, trigger, and powerpack mounted OUTSIDE flywheel.

Installed that unit, and no spark. Ended up having to send the unit back to CDI, who replaced it with a new unit. Re-installed that unit and everything was double and triple checked. Every wire is hooked up properly according to the instructions. I have healthy spark now. Also had to order a new Woodruff Key.

When the Key arrived yesterday I put it all back together and tried to start. It wouldn't start. Quadruple checked the installation and couldn't find anything out of sorts. But for some reason I decided to switch #1 and #2 Spark plug wires. She fired right up, but is running rough.

Now unless I am crazy #1 cylinder is the top cylinder, and #2 is the bottom. The ignition coil wires (to the plugs) go from the top coil to the top cylinder, and the bottom to the bottom cylinder. But it won't run unless they are backwards.

I pulled the plugs and checked TDC on #1 and the Mark on the Flywheel does line up to TDC (there is an arrow it lines up to)

I know its not my carbs or something else. The boat was running fine before I put on the upgrade *just wouldn't turn off*

As far as I know it is impossible to put on a flywheel 180 degrees out like a distributor right? I lined up the woodruff key and torqued to spec with a torque wrench.

Is it possible the CDI trigger wires (Blue/Orange to top coil, Orange to bottom coil, per instructions) were miscolored at the factory?

How the hell is it running with the plugs switched, and won't run with plugs hooked to proper coils??

I also hooked a timing light to it last night but not really sure what I am looking at (depite reading up, still a bit confused) There are marks on the flywheel (left to right) from 32 down to 4, then TDC, then 4 at the far right.

With the engine at idle the timing light showed it was at the far right # 4 mark lining up with the arrow. I don't think this is correct?

Anyway I need some advice....This should have been a quick upgrade..... Even though its running with the plug wires switched it is not running smooth like it did....and giving a little high idle (cold start lever) it still feels rough....

Help? :confused:

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: 1989 Evinrude 48 spl Weird timing Question

You could also put the orange wire to the top cylinder and the orange/blue to the bottom cylinder to see if help after you switch the plug wires back. I know, orange/blue is supposed to go to top coil but strange things happen.

69starcraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I thought about switching the trigger wires....but wanted to ask the "experts" opinion from the peanut gallery first :D

I can't for the life of me figure out how the engine could be 180 off and run?

But when I manually turn the flywheel and find TDC (with a screwdriver in the plug hole) it DOES line up to the TDC mark on the flywheel....

69starcraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just got off with tech support CDI electronics. The fellow I have been dealing with previously seems to think I got a Trigger that is reverse wired. Told me to switch the Black/White and White/Black wires from the trigger to the pack.

Gonna try that when I get back to the house and post results

69starcraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That was it...Swapped the trigger wires to opposite colors (instructions state like to like)

Runs like new again.....

Apparently when he repackaged a new unit for me he grabbed the wrong trigger...same size etc, but wires fire opposite what I needed....

Whew!

JPL15330

Recruit

That was it...Swapped the trigger wires to opposite colors (instructions state like to like)

Runs like new again.....

Apparently when he repackaged a new unit for me he grabbed the wrong trigger...same size etc, but wires fire opposite what I needed....

Whew!
I know this is a very old thread, but I have found zero other forums, videos, anything to help with the confusing CDI-113-4489 upgrade kit for my 92 Evinrude 48 SPL. I believe everything is ready to install now, but the instructions say white/black and white/black wires for the trigger going to the plug on the power pack. Did you at first use the white, with black spiral line as the white/black or is that the option that ended up working properly? I am assuming this is correct, but I rather not make an expensive mistake. This is definitely not the correct power pack for my outboard, but it should work when wired correctly, and not installing my terminal cover in order to fit the power pack 113-4767. Correct power pack is smaller, 113-2285 (I believe). It is extremely difficult to find any info on the correct power pack as well as kit, but I don't see why this won't work other than fitment of the power pack.