Head gasket orientation on 1990 90 Evinrude E90TLESB

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I made a rookie mistake and didn't note the orientation of the water ports on the head gaskets when I took it apart. I believe the water ports should be placed between the deflectors as shown in the attached picture where in this view the gasket would tilt up into position. In other words the ports on the gasket would favor the bottom and be toward the thermostats. Starboard side is shown here. Verification would be appreciated.

Attachments

• DSCF3164.jpg
    DSCF3164.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 2

Haffiman

Commander
Re: Head gasket orientation on 1990 90 Evinrude E90TLESB

Most of the gaskets has an 'info' on top how to install:
472211d9672b8_40949n.jpg

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

faceing the motor from spark plugs the left hnd cylinder head , the 2 water slots in the gasket go to the bottom faceing to the far left to the right cylinder its 2 slots bottom faceing far right hnd

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

faceing the motor from spark plugs the left hnd cylinder head , the 2 water slots in the gasket go to the bottom faceing to the far left to the right cylinder its 2 slots bottom faceing far right hnd

So if I understand you correctly my slots are shown on the wrong side. Correct?

Thanks Haffiman, I hope mine come with that info.

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

no there's nothing wrong with the photo of the gasket the slots bottom to outer left & bottom to the outer right for the right hnd side face plugs

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The photo shows the starboard (right) pistons so the slots are bottom left. Sounds like they should be bottom right (outboard) instead thus the picture is wrong. Upon closer examination for tell tale markings on the gaskets it appears I do have it flipped the wrong way in the picture but it's hard to tell for sure.