1994 9.9 Johnson-convert from controls to tiller

bassinct

Recruit
Hi, first post here.

I'm looking to convert my Johnson 9.9 (Model J1ORERB) from a control box that was used as a kicker, to a tiller to use on my 14' semi v. I just want to make sure I have what is necessary to perform this conversion. The tiller came installed and has the throttle cable installed. What I cant figure out is where to attach this cable and whether any parts from the control box installation need to be removed. Also, are any other parts required to make this conversion. Pics or a exploded view would be ideal.

Thanks so much,

Steve

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1994 9.9 Johnson-convert from controls to tiller

Welcome to iboats forum

The throttle cable for that model is routed up & looped over the carburetor, nesting into a notch in the top of the pastic carb breather. It goes over the carb to the RH side, down & rearward to attach on the bottom of the pivoted lever that the top of this lever is conneted to the timing plate under the flywheel.

I have never worked on a remote motor of this version, but many tiller motors, so ????

Hard to guess what parts you have or don't have. If this motor was initially a tiller motor & the tiller was saved/replaced back as originally, you may luck out & be OK as is. However if someone bought a used tiller unit & put it on, you/we have no clue.

Jim311

Petty Officer 2nd Class

49883.gif

I think that you have to purchase extra parts to do the remote conversion but if you have the complete tiller handle I don't think anything extra is required other than that. You may have to change the linkage for the shifter though? I have a remote setup but have never worked on a tiller setup.

bassinct

Recruit

Thanks, I was able to figure it out. The motor came with the tiller so it was just a matter of removing the two control cables and their linkages and reconnecting the throttle cable from the tiller. The hardest part was figuring out how to run the throttle cable from the tiller. No extra parts were required. I found a good picture on the net which helped a lot.