Johnson propeller repair

Paul Nelson

Recruit
Got a 75 hp Johnson stinger (1976) with an aluminum propeller.

Had it out last, hit a sand bar and busted up the propeller.

Took the propeller off, used pliers, a hammer, and an angle grinder to put it back into shape but without welding new pieces on it, it will not be the same.

So, suggestions on propeller repair, info on much performance I really lose with a slightly banged up propeller, would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Re: Johnson propeller repair

I bring my damaged props to a local guy to fix when he is finished it looks NEW! I have had to do this many times over the years and it cost about half of a new prop. BUT he says he doesnt like to do the same prop more then once or twice. He has even put entire blades on that broke off. If dun more then one ore two times prop strength can weeken. Do you have a local marina? They most always can fix or send out to have fixed. I keep an extra prop on hand to reduce down time it takes a week or two to get prop back.

Sidserv

Seaman Apprentice

On major problem with it being banged and straightened is your prop is no longer balanced. You can tear up lower unit seals/bearings and cause other problems. I send mine in to a prop shop and get them fixed and I usually have a spare to get by until I get my props back. I wouldn't run the motor any longer than you have to until you get the prop fixed correctly.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Take it to a pro or buy a new one - Do NOT use it- as been said, you'll screw up more than the cost of a prop!