1973 Evinrude 115 - How to remove steering cable

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am replacing the steering cable on my boat. On both ends of the current cable is a large nut that is held in place by a flange. I can see on the new cables for sale, they don't include these nuts for the connections. I would like to remove one of these nuts so that I can pull the old cable out easier (it's a very tight fit). So, my question is do I need to keep these old nuts and somehow adapt them to the new cable? Or do I need to get some type of connection kit with the new cable?

Thanks for your help!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1973 Evinrude 115 - How to remove steering cable

Could you post a pic of what you have ??

mark1961

Ensign

If the helm unit is an old rotary type there may not be a cable made to suit it anymore, you might need to replace it with new as well. There is an adapter made by teleflex (SA27620P) for the helm end which may suit depending on what setup you have, not advisable to try and modify your steering in any other way. On the new cables there is usually a nut already on the motor end for through tilt tube type application, the helm end is normally secured to the unit with a spring loaded catch and safety clip.....post up pics of both connection ends.

Link to adapter......

http://www.marineengine.com/products/accessory.php?in=3462762

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah after doing more research on it, they don't make this particular cable any more so I've decided to go with a kit and replace everything. I know Teleflex makes a kit that would work. Another one that I've heard about is called U-Flex. Not sure which one to go with.