1973 Evinrude 115 - How to remove shift cable from control box

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class
The shift cable broke and I'm looking to replace it. I've opened the control box but I can't figure out how to disconnect the cable from the shift mechanism. Where the cable connects to the control arm I can't tell how to get that pin out. Inside of that pin there was a tiny allen screw that looks like it was holding a wire in place so I removed the allen screw. The wire still extends through the pin and I can't figure out what should be done next.

I have a shop manual that is of no help on this one.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1973 Evinrude 115 - How to remove shift cable from control box

That allen screw kinks the inner cable (wire) so that it is held in place. Backing that screw out somewhat normally releases it and you can yank it out. If not, there is usually a hole in the other side of the control box whereas you can insert a long allen wrench to straighten out that kink to release the cable.

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got it. Thank you!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You may have an allen screw on the other side of the cable also. If it was put together correctly.

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes it did. I removed both of them and the cable came out fine. Thanks again.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Yes it did. I removed both of them and the cable came out fine. Thanks again.

Pertaining to installing the inner cable if installing the same type cable.... kink the cable with the first allen screw, then screw in the other allen screw to keep it locked there.

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the tip!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

One other word of advice.......

On many of the older cable hook ups, the plastic guide that attaches to the inner portion of the cable (on either end) will have a small hole just beyond the hole that the barrel and allen screws goes in.

This second hole is just to let you see that the inner cable did indeed protrude thru the barrel. The correct positioning of the inner cable is to have the end of that inner cable just flush with the first edge encountered of that second hole, NOT protruding into it. A better explanation might be.... if one had a nail of the proper diameter inserted into that second hole, the inner cable would just butt up against it.

This will give you the correct length and throw of the inner cable.

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow! That's good advice! My previous one had the cable extending out about 1/8". I'll take your advice.

Thanks again!