Running Half Power

1damutt

Cadet
Hello Everybody,
I have a question and havent been able to find answer yet through this forum. I am hoping somebody can help me.

Problem, I have a 1996 15 hp Evinrude 2 stroke (Rope Start) Whenever I take my boat out it always runs at 8-10mph (so it says on navi) oh yeah I have 12' Alum. Gregor. So then after going to fishing spot and then shutting off engine and run under trolling motor for about 1/2 hour. I start up motor (1 pull) and runs at 8-10mph I go to next honey hole and same thing. I do this about 6 different times. Always puttering at 8-10mph sometimes 7mph if headed into strong wind. And then......I go to head back to dock after day of fishing 3-4 miles away. I start up motor (a few pulls) and now im jamming across lake at 17-20mph the boat is scooting right along! I run boat for roughly a 1/2 hour excited and happy. I kill motor and start back up. again 17-20mph! So I think hmmmmm maybe whatever problem worked itself out. I start engine back up and head to dock and 8-10mph. :(

The only thing more frustrating then a crap engine is a engine that teases with a hint at what it can do. Please help if anybody has suggestions? I am not mechanically inclined....If you said its my left blinker fluid mixing into my Johnson rod crank case making a duel pole resistance I would think thats pretty plausible.:redface:

I have checked my sparkies in driveway----both sparkwell
I have heard mention of something called Coil Pack and or Power Pack? could this be problem or should I just dump engine in lake and claim it was stolen? <--------thats a joke.......sorta!

63Sport16

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Running Half Power

Can you tell us if the engine sounds any different when it's moving slow or at higher speed? If there isn't any real noticeable motor bogging or miss firing, but sounds the same either way, you may have a bad prop. First thing is how does the motor sound or act.

1damutt

Cadet

when running at 8-10mph it sounds like its bogging down I guess the best way to say is if you went from first gear to 3rd in your car and it never gets up to speed if that makes sense. and then while running it has this little kick like its trying to pick up speed but doesnt. kinda like .....hmmmmmmmmmmmm(pause) hmmmmmmmmm and when running good at 18-20mph it sounds like perrrrrrrrrrrfection . does that make sense?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

When it's running bad, pull one plug wire at a time and see if you can narrow it down to a cyl. You could have a bad coil or power pack.

1damutt

Cadet

Do you mean pull the spark plug while i am on the water? wont I get shocked!? or do you mean while in the driveway with rabbit ears on. if ibn the driveway with rabbit ears .... what would that tell me since im not moviing?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

It sounds like you have one cylinder that is dropping out from time to time due to something wrong in the ignition. If you pull one plug wire and it stalls out, then that cylinder that you pulled the plug wire on is good, and the other is bad. If the engine speed and sound do not change at all, then that cylinder is bad and the other is good. If the speed drops but it still runs and it sounds different, then both are good.
Unfortunately the motor may have to be warm for it to cut out.
And yes, you can shock yourself. Use a glove. It won't kill you.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

All you need is a good pair of insulated pliers. They're usually made out of plastic and yellow in color. Hardware or parts stores should have them. And you have to have the mtr acting up. Get a buddy to drive the boat for you.

1damutt

Cadet

Hello all again and you have all been a big help. I was going through the motor and I noticed that the power pack that is in my boat is 583170 I crossed checks this number and find out that it should be on a 15hp evinrude 1992 model. Everything I have checked states that my engine should have 584783 power pack. 15hp evinrude 1996. could this be the problem? I am thinking that maybe whoever did maintinece on this engine last before I got it just put the wrong part on and figured it was no big deal. Could this be the problem?

Thank you all you guys have been a great help

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

i would send you a link to leroy's ramblings, all things johnson/ evinrude 9.9/15 HP, but it appears to be down at the moment :confused:

63Sport16

Seaman Apprentice

The 583170 is definitely not for you motor. There was only one updated powerpack to replace your original equipment and that is a 586798. I would also check the rest of the ignition components now that you have found one possible flaw. Someone may have tried doing a complete ignition swap on the motor. If the other components are for your year and model, then I would get the correct PP and then see how it runs.

1damutt

Cadet

THANK YOU ALL VERY VERY MUCH!!!!!! I got the New Power Pack and installed it fairly simply. I took the boat out to my local fishing spot Lake Berryessa Nor Cal. And the boat took off and raced around the lake. I am a very very happy camper now if I could only catch these dang fish.