1988 Evinrude 15hp Starting Instructions

nphilbro

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey all,

I just purchased a 1988 15hp manual/pull start motor with tiller that I'm going to use as a kicker motor. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to get it started! I downloaded a service manual (purchased) but it doesn't say anything about operating the thing!

The tiller throttle and flywheel seem to be somehow locked - like a safety measure is engaged. I have it in neutral. I know the guy I bought it from had a bunch of kill switch lanyards but needed the one off this motor.

1. Do I need a killswitch lanyard to operate it? It's mounted next to the primary engine and I'm connecting the steering so obviously I need let the motor run while I'm away from it even though I'll adjust the speed at the motor.

I've searched the forums but don't see this addressed and this setup is different than any others I've run.

2nd question, due to weight placement, I want to run each motor off my main 40 gallon tank. Can I just install a "Y" adapter off the fuel/water seperator or will this cause pressure problems on the adjacent motor (other motor is a 1980 140hp Johnson).

Thanks!

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1988 Evinrude 15hp Starting Instructions

Yes, you need the kill switch lanyard or at least the clip that goes on the end of the lanyard. No clip = no start. The throttle is semi locked in neutral so as the motor can't be revved up until it's in forward gear (or reverse to a lesser extent). As for the "Y" in the fuel line, lots of boaters do that but it seems to me that you would want a one way check valve on each line so as not to suck fuel from one motor. or the other, but from the tank only.