long shaft Johnson on 20 in transom

dads14

Recruit
Hi everyone I got my dads 1971 14' reinell with a1983 longshaft Johnson on it that his uncle gave him still in the box is this
Motor to small to put it on a plain? Should I look at getting a mine Jack plate? The fin is about 1 1/2 in under the boat so
would getting a finplate help or hinder? The motor cant go up any more. This is something my dad put together I'd like to keep it like that but get a better preformance Out of it the motor only has three seasons at most runs fine im having a big problem getting it on plane
any help would be great thanks

kbait

Commander
Re: long shaft Johnson on 20 in transom

What's the max hp for the boat? If it's much more than 40hp, you may never get a 20 to plane it out.

Side note, on my deep/wide alumacraft short transom, the cavitation plate on my 15hp is normally about 2" below bottom of boat. I used a piece of wood 1.25" thick to 'jack' it, and put an aluminum strip in front to hold the clamps (clamps are at the top of transom now). I planed out before 'jacking' and got to 20mph, and after 'jacking' got to 22mph, so if you're really close to planing out, you may get there w/a bit of elevation on the motor. Also helps to have fuel tank/extra weight in front, and the motor tilted 'in' on the tilt pin adjustment. Good luck!

kbait

Commander

Sorry.. thought you had a 20hp. Still.. what is the max rated hp for the boat? Are you sure you're getting fire on both cylinders? You can pull one plug wire at a time to check that out..

dads14

Recruit

Hi everyone I got my dads 1971 14' reinell with a1983 longshaft Johnson on it that his uncle gave him still in the box is this
Motor to small to put it on a plain? Should I look at getting a mine Jack plate? The fin is about 1 1/2 in under the boat so
would getting a finplate help or hinder? The motor cant go up any more. This is something my dad put together I'd like to keep it like that but get a better preformance Out of it the motor only has three seasons at most runs fine im having a big problem getting it on plane
any help would be great thanks

,I'm all the way the top of the transom its a 35hp and seems to run fine

dads14

Recruit

The boat is rated for up to a 60 max

lindy46

Captain

Boat should plane with that motor. Check compression and spark.