Need to replace the rings on Jonhson GT 100, Does the motor need to be taken out?

IvanT

Recruit
Johson GT100 1989 / 1991

I need to replace the rings, and the engine is half way taken apart, but I cant seem to take out the crankshaft. The part that incloses the rod caps has motor mounts that conect to the frame. I did take those off and all the bolts, knocked it hard and the top came apart about 1/32.

Qustion: Do I need to take the whole engine out, to take the pistons out? Or just keep trying to separate it?

out meaning put it onto a work bench, copletely separated from the gearbox and the rest of the powerhead?

Don't have any axpirience rebuilding one of these so any help on what not to mess up would be appriciated.

Thank you!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need to replace the rings on Jonhson GT 100, Does the motor need to be taken out

Absolutely. The powerhead (engine) has to be removed from the rest of the motor and on the workbench before you can take it apart. The reason will be obvious when you get it off.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need to replace the rings on Jonhson GT 100, Does the motor need to be taken out

Yes you do and while you are doing that it would be very wise to get an OEM manual for the motor. You mentioned you had no experience with one of these. I believe most of the very experienced still have a manual around to refer to.
Good luck with the job.