69 Evinrude 40Hp Electric Shift Problems

jmack3986

Cadet
So after the First test Of my boat and motor after Carb rebuild My trim was set at the Highest setting From the guy I got it From. I left it as is and realized it needed adjusting. I set the Trim Back down and took It out. My Motor sometimes takes a second to get up and going and it doesnt seem to be Hitting its maximum potential. It is on a shell Lake 14'. I noticed on the linkage back near the throttle are that there is a screw that alows the stop to be moved foward and back. My controls are a set of johnson controls and I have the electric shift wired to a toggle. My question is where exactly is the Idle and highspeed adjustment needle. also where should that stop be set. I found nothing on the stop in my manual. One last thing. After I trimmed it down I am Getting spray on both sides of the motor in a V form. It has a 4 blade prop Pitch IS not known. I am guessing a 10 Pitch. How can I correct the spray Up

jmack3986

Cadet
Re: 69 Evinrude 40Hp Electric Shift Problems

That was suppose to be the throttle Arm.

jmack3986

Cadet

Also Forgot to mention that it died a couple times At the max throttle I could give it which I dont think is its max. It would bog Out and die

jmack3986

Cadet

the lower unit starts at the botom of the boat

jmack3986

Cadet

Still need help figuring out why im spraying water in a v parallel with motor

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The cavitation plate is the big plate with the trim tab just above the prop. It should be even with to 1 1/2" above the lowest point of the keel.

jmack3986

Cadet

The cavitation plate is the big plate with the trim tab just above the prop. It should be even with to 1 1/2" above the lowest point of the keel.

The prop and the cavitation plate is below the lowest point of the boat. I have a long shaft motor on the boat. It sits to wherebthe bottom of the exhaist cover is at the bottom and lowest point of the boat. Im thinking ny prop needs replaced. Its chewed up a little on each blade. It is a 4way blade prop. I will post a pic when i get home today

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

So , if you are saying that you have a 25" motor on a 20" transom, that is your problem with both spray and speed. The motor is too deep in the water.

jmack3986

Cadet

it is a little long. Ill get the full measurements tonight. I will just have to see about selling the motor and getting a short shaft if that is the case.