low idle on a 1995 Evinrude 50 HP

indyboy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi everybody... I hope you are all starting to enjoy the nice boating and fishing weather! My question is how to increase the idle speed on my 1995 Evinrude 50HP outboard. The throttle control has the high speed idle/cold start lever which works fine. I can use that lever in neutral to hold engine idle at a solid 1100 to 1200 RPM's and the motor does fine. After pushing high idle lever down the idle speed is only around 800-900 which seems low to me. After 10 or 15 seconds the motor begins to slow down and die which makes it challenging to dock and put it on the trailer. I noticed the high idle lever moves the top threaded rod on the engine. I assume that both rods are adjusted together to give proper shifting so I didn't want to mess with that rod without getting some advice. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance and have a Great boating season.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: low idle on a 1995 Evinrude 50 HP

If I remember correctly the idle on your engine should be about 750 in gear in the water. You might have other problems causing your idle problems. Have you checked the low speed needle adjustment on your carbs?