iol injection 98 ficht drains

nethunter

Cadet
Hi gys,
its me again :redface:

After the rebuilt of my 98 ficht i noticed tha the oil injetion tubes run empty a little when the engine is not in use!

For better description....when engine is in upper or in lower position for some days the oil in the injector tubes starts to drain. The oil goes some where...maybe inside engine or back to pump....i found some oil under the silencer.

This happens more or less only to the upper 4 oil injector lines...not the right and left lower ones!

After some days i can see big air bubbles at last 1-3 inches of the tubes :confused:

Iam very concerned to start engine in this condition so i did a manual fill up of this tubes and runs the engine.

Does anyone had this problem before? I installed new injector tubes in clear plastic...so i can see that air bubbels comming up pretty good!

thank
peter from germany

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: iol injection 98 ficht drains

some oil under the silencer seems to be normal, especially when you tilt the engine out of the water when not in use.

when it comes to the oil lines - hm... strange. but on the other hand.- as long as the engine does not give you any no oil alarm maybe just relax and run !

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Start it up, leave it idle and watch the oil lines to see what happens. It just may be perfectly normal.

nethunter

Cadet

normal :confused:

dont think so...

The point is, when i have an air bubble of mabe 2 inches along the tube to the zylinder....how long it takes to push out the air in running condition?
At this time this zylinder is running whithout oil :eek:

When you have old tubes , not transparent anymore....nobody notice that effect.

My problem is i dont know the reason of that, if i need to change somthing i would do that....mabe the tube diameter inside is not right....

My feeling...the oil under the silencer is to much and came out of the throtle unit.

thanks
peter

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

like boobie says- let it idle and look how long it takes to put out the air. in idle you should not hurt a cylinder . i must say i never looked visually at the oil lines before starting , i can do it next time ( they are also transparent) .

its right that the oil under the silencer comes out the throttle unit when engine is tilted when not used !

beyond that -what oil do you run ?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

It was proven yrs ago at the OMC test center in Waukegan IL that you could idle a mtr at no more than 1200 rpm on straight gas and not hurt it. BUT, don't go above that or else it's good bye. The new E-Tecs also have a safe mode built into them that if the oil system fails they will not run over 1200 rpm and still get you back to port.