Evinrude Ocean pro 90hp waterpump insallation problems, PLEASE HELP............

scout1

Cadet
Okay to start off i have a 1995 evinrude 90hp ocean pro that runs great. i have had the boat and motor for three seasons without changeing the waterpump, even though it was pumping good water i thought it was time. I bought a omc complete waterpump kit. I installed the kit and it appears i was pumping better water with the old pump. i have also noticed that i have water leaking out of the joint that seperates the lower unit from the rest of the motor. i do not know if that is normal or if i have an o ring or gasket leaking. water leaked from that joint with the old waterpump, but not as much. Thanks to everyone who can help me with this issue.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Evinrude Ocean pro 90hp waterpump insallation problems, PLEASE HELP............

It is not abnormal to have some leakage there. Sometimes you can drop the lower unit down and clean the mating surfaces and stop some of the leakage.

scout1

Cadet
Re: Evinrude Ocean pro 90hp waterpump insallation problems, PLEASE HELP............

It is not abnormal to have some leakage there. Sometimes you can drop the lower unit down and clean the mating surfaces and stop some of the leakage.[/QU

Thanks for the reply. It appears the mating surfaces are pretty tight. i am wondering if i did'nt set the fins on the impeller to the right rotation in the stainless cup , and if i did'nt ,would fins find the correct rotation when the boat is used.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Don't worry about it, they will flip to the proper orentation on start up.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Did you glue the orings into the pump body? Did you glue the gaskets to the wear plates and upper pump cover? There is a specific procedure in the service manual on how to rebuild the waterpump, and what adhesives to use.
Some motors have machined gaps between gearcase and midsection. This allows any water that escapes from the waterpump to drain, rather than freeze.....

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I have the same motors... i replaced two water pumps and they worked great, the last one I did.. didnt pump at all hardly....

I had two complete lower units. I totally rebuilt one and installed it with the new WP..it didnt pump so good... I took the whole unit off and explored the water pumps installation...it all looked great... put it back together and reinstalled,,..didnt pump good..., so i took it off and reinstalled the original..and it pumped fine( i was just be deligent replacing the pump after 2 years no matter what). I took the water pump off again and it all looked right...

soo i took the whole LU down to my mechanic, and he installed a new water pump( even though mine was BRAND NEW) because he said i was missing one piece....he didnt say exactly yet..as i havent installed the LU yet....but i think it was one of the tubes-pieces that go on top of the housing ...somehow...because he didnt have all those extra parts when i brought it to him...I had them at home in the original box, thinking they were extras for VARIOUS other modeles the pump might be used on...

soooo Id say, make sire you got the O-ring on and make sure you have all the pieces...I used the manual...and it looked good to me!!

and I did it 2 times before ok...so i am thinking it is something that is EASY to miss...

good luck

bob

justinleavens

Recruit

I am new to this forum stuff.
I can't figure out how to post a new thread.
What I need help with is removing the lower end of my Evinrude 70hp, 80 year model (E70ELCSA) to change the water pump.
I took five bolts off including the trim tab which was unneccesary but something is causing it to stick.
Is it the shift linkage? If so, how do I access it, from above? I can't find a screw or bolt from below.
Thanks!