What to look out for? I'm buying a used 25hp Johnson

trimix83

Recruit
New to forum...Vancouver Island area

I'm looking to buy a small boat with a 25hp Johnson which i'm told (naturally) runs fine but has been sitting.
I haven't seen it yet, don't know yet what year it is, and my marine engine experience is only with I/B or stern drives (ugh).

So what should I watch out for? I know the year is important info, but I just don't have that yet.
How should I inspect this engine to make sure I'm not buying a scrapper? I'd even entertain the idea of getting a good pro overhaul, as long as I know the motor has some life left in it. I need to know it will start when I'm out there!

Any advice?

mark1961

Ensign
Re: What to look out for? I'm buying a used 25hp Johnson

New to forum...Vancouver Island area

I'm looking to buy a small boat with a 25hp Johnson which i'm told (naturally) runs fine but has been sitting.
I haven't seen it yet, don't know yet what year it is, and my marine engine experience is only with I/B or stern drives (ugh).

So what should I watch out for? I know the year is important info, but I just don't have that yet.
How should I inspect this engine to make sure I'm not buying a scrapper? I'd even entertain the idea of getting a good pro overhaul, as long as I know the motor has some life left in it. I need to know it will start when I'm out there!

Any advice?

Hard to beat a test run on the nearest lake or waterway.....failing that have the vendor run it for you in a barrel or on muffs.....some compression numbers and sight the lower unit oil for contamination would be advisable.....expect to have to replace the water pump/impeller, do a carb clean/rebuild and replace the lower unit oil on any motor thats been sitting.

A non functioning motor aint worth much.....

AlTn

Commander

if a salt water motor...look for corroded fasteners particulary under the pan where the fasteners go into the powerhead from the exhaust housing, in fact, any rusted fasteners, screws, etc. Honestly, if it's over 10 years old and salt water use, I'd just pass on it unless you have no choice. I say this because not everyone flushes them after each use and the headaches that causes from a maintenance stand point are numerous.

trimix83

Recruit

Update:
Thanks for your advice guys.
I've had a chance now to see the motor. Model # is J25REDA which my secret decoder device says is a 1996 motor. Everything out here is saltwater use, and rinsing is pretty well a given among boaters here.
The motor's been sitting in a garage for a few years. It had been professionally overhauled the last time it changed hands, and was mostly stored since then. Cover off, all the rubber and wires look supple and black, plugs are clean and most of the moving parts don't even show much wear (throttle linkage, shifter rod, etc.) Grease points were all oozing excess grease.. It was used as a kicker on a larger boat, so had little use until it was stored. It has been upgraded with an electric starter. Corrosion/ rust was minimal - just some paint blistering on some of the cast AL parts.
Shaft was in a barrel of water. The poor owner had spent the afternoon trying to start it, and probably flooded it. When I tried the ignition it fired right up! It idles steadily and relatively smoothly, but I could not see a tell-tale stream (not on this model?)
Gear case had lube, a bit milky but could be just the color of the lube. My big concern is the prop and the skeg had a bad lunch date with some rocks. Skeg is a little ground down, tip near the prop is broken off, but otherwise looks straight. When I turn the battered prop by hand, nothing feels crunchy in the shaft, but whadda you think?
Should I take it to a shop and pay for a check up? Walk (-- no Run!) away? Or is this just a good motor that's been sitting around for a decade?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Awww Schitt. A new motor......RUN IT!!