85 25 hp evinrude gear shifter help

rtpogo11

Seaman Apprentice
Disconnect the shift linkage at the lower unit, can you shift the linkage going to the lower unit and have forward, neutral and reverse?
If so you need to have the lower unit in neutral, attach the shift rod and adjust until the shifter is in neutral. Then move the shifter through the gears and see if you have them when the shifter is in the proper position. You might have to spin the prop while shifting.

these are the instruction could some one please explain to me step by step sorry but my brain is not working lol thanks

Haffiman

Commander
Re: 85 25 hp evinrude gear shifter help

Not sure exactly what you are looking for, but this how to adjust.
Put the lower unit back on the leg and attach the shift rods together, but not tighten the two nuts together completely.
Shift the handle on engine into neutral.
Adjust the LOWER rod only, up or down until prop spins freely in neutral.
Tighten the two nuts together without turning the lower shift rod!!
Shift into forward - neutral - and reverse with the handle, and check that the dog engages correctly. Remember to spin the prop while shifting. The movement of the handle should be the same from neutral to reverse and neutral forward just as the dog engages. If not - re-adjust the lower rod.

rtpogo11

Seaman Apprentice

ok the lower unit is all connected already does this matter

Beek14

Petty Officer 1st Class

It can be done already connected, however I find it is easiest with the bolts loosened a bit which gives you a little extra room to work.