Converting VRO Pump to Standard Fuel pump on 90HP Johnson

Cady8special

Seaman
Morning guys,

I have a 1988 90HP Johnson with Disconnected VRO and Pre-mix. I've got a 1989 88 SPL that I use for parts, and I was going to install the 88 spl fuel pump on my 90 and get rid of that VRO system.

The VRO system has 4 ports - Gas in, Oil in, Pulse in, and Gas/Oil out. The pump for the 88 spl only uses 2 ports-- gas in and gas out. There is what looks to be another port on the back side of the pump though-- no nipple, just a hole. Is that where I would put the pulse if I made this conversion? Can I use this pump, or is there another style I would need to buy?

How does that fuel pump even work if there's no pulse on it? That's strange to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Cady8special

Seaman
Re: Converting VRO Pump to Standard Fuel pump on 90HP Johnson

pulse.jpg

Here is the picture of what I think is a port on the back side. If anyone can confirm if this is the pulse port, that would be great.

Cady8special

Seaman

Thanks man- that's what I was hoping.

Any idea how I'm supposed to connect a hose to that port? Is it just a male/male nipple that goes in with just a friction fit?

hidef

Lieutenant

On your 88 it just bolts on and seals with the gasket. You can buy a pump that has the pulse port down below and uses a hose just like the VRO pump. Check the maxrules site for the model number.