evinrude 150 ficht ram injection

Captain LIS

Cadet
Hello Gentlemen. I'm new to this site and have been reading a lot of posts here about the Ficht outboards.
I just bought a very clean 2001 center console with a 2001 150 hp Ficht Ram Injection. The previous owner of this boat had the engine serviced every year by a reliable dealer and has had some necessary upgrades done to the computer system(?).
My question to anyone here that might have some insight is about how the engine seems to run while at 1100 rpm thru the harbor and after running at 3200- 4000 rpm. the engine runs great while cruising. The engine seems to run slightly rough after putting it in gear to leave the harbor and a little rough after running the boat for a while and lowering rpms to approach the harbor. I know the owner took good care of the engine. I have an invoice from the dealer showing the winterization from 12/05/11. new xc12pepb spark plugs, 2 types of fuel filters, fogging oil, gear lube, fuel conditioner, etc. I believe i'm using TC-W3 oil. I've run the boat for approx. 2 good hrs since splashing the boat. Can anyone help me with this. Model #RE150FXSIF SER. # G 04905345. Thank you.

Haffiman

Commander
Re: evinrude 150 ficht ram injection

Switch to BRP XD-50 oil as soon as possible!! Empty the tank for old oil and replace. Normal TCW3 oil is not recommended for that engine although it is 'allowed'.

Captain LIS

Cadet

Thanks for that info. I'm not really sure what's in there right now. I'll do what you said. What would be your second thought?

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

haffimans oil comment is fully correct. look at your exhaust hub and you will see it is sooted black. after putting in evinrude XD-50 , a brand specially designed for this engine, you should notice a smoother run and e clean exhaust hub. these engines tend to soot up with normal tcw3 oil and give then some roughness. next step would be to remove the plugs, clean and gap then to 0.28-0.3 and index correctly .

finally, these engine are designed to run a very lean combustion below 1800rpms so at trolling speeds you may have to accept a very slight roughness , but really very light. in any case it should idle , start and troll far more smoothly and gently than a carbed 2stroke engine.

fill in xd-50 and recheck the plugs , try not to screw anything else on this engine . the oil alone will give you a difference after some operating hours.

cheers !

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

The XD50 is a synthetic blend oil with a decarbon additive added and runs really clean. The rough idle could be engine is running to cold and computer is adjusting mixture to try and get it to temp. These engines do not run on all 6 cylinders below 1000rpm but random cylinders by the computer as it shuts injector off. That why when you first start it it has a quick rev and comes back to idle due to all 6 injectors are fired for priming engine.

aerobat

. These engines do not run on all 6 cylinders below 1000rpm but random cylinders by the computer as it shuts injector off.

interesting-are you sure ? i never heard of that and would quess from sound it idles on all 6cyl- further all injectors are tickering at idle.

do you have any references for it?

cheers

Haffiman

Commander

interesting-are you sure ? i never heard of that and would quess from sound it idles on all 6cyl- further all injectors are tickering at idle.

do you have any references for it?

cheers

Fastbullet is correct. The engine drops cylinders at random to keep the set rpm at idle. You may hear the ticking, from the injectors, but you do not hear which ones are ticking and at 800 rpm you may have difficulties in hearing. However if you hook up a timing light with the pick-up on the injector leads, you may see that they drop out from time to time. This is one of the reasons the power gets rather abrupt as soon as you start moving the throttle (TPS) as all of a sudden all cyls are working. If not a bit careful when installing the throttle cable and keeping the TPS within the expected range at idle, this system gets 'disabled' and idle unstable.

aerobat

stunning-i really never heard about this or felt it- it idles regardless of outside temperature, generator load etc always perfectly at 800 and sounds alwyas the same. so does the EMM drop cylinders generally below 1000rpm or randomly when it decides its a good idea to do it?

when i,m later on my boat i think i will let it idle and put my ear to every injector - you never learn out about this fichts !

Haffiman

Commander

It drops ONLY at low idle AND when the TPS is in a specific given position (resistance). This varies a little between the first years and EMM prg versions. If all injectors triggered at 800 rpm, it will give some 13+ clicks/sec. Good luck catching a 'miss'.

Brisfisher

Cadet

Sorry to drag up an old thread!, i have a 98 150 ficht and was wondering if dropping cyl was relevent in older models aswell? Reason i ask is i have a have a rough idle aswell and when i remover a spark plug for inspection it was black as usual, though after idleing for a few mins it was clean?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Please read the rules and start a new thread. Thank you.