1989 Johnson 4hp Deluxe J4RDHCEC won't engage gears

Mikeevans129

Cadet
Hi,

New to this but have just bought the above engine and an inflatable second hand to try and tinker with. I have very limited technical knowledge but am looking to learn.

Today I ran the engine with some new fuel/oil and it starts and runs really well. The problem came when I engaged it in either forward or reverse there was just a click and the prop didn't turn. The prop isn't seized and the engine does appear to have been well looked after and oiled etc. Has anyone come across this problem before or got any ideas what it may be/how to fix it?

Any help much appreciated!

Haffiman

Commander
Re: 1989 Johnson 4hp Deluxe J4RDHCEC won't engage gears

Is the prop shear pin still in one piece or broken?
Remove the prop and check.

Mikeevans129

Cadet

Thanks, I take it when I remove the pin holding the prop on this will be the piece that then connects the prop?

It's also been suggested to me that it might be something to do with the bushes connected to the F-N-R lever?

raczekp1

Lieutenant

if pin holding propelr is ok then something is wrong between shift hendle and gear box(lower unit).
i have 2 gear boxes for this model in case

Mikeevans129

Cadet

Ok folks, pin checked and is still in one piece! Any other tell tale indicators of next most likely cause before I pay out for a new gearbox?

Mikeevans129

Cadet
Update!

Update!

Ok, I've noticed when I move the gear lever it spins a washer near the lower unit so think the lever is obviously working. Tried to change the oil but the screws seem stuck fast so I've sprayed with WD40 and will leave overnight. How can I tell if I need a whole new lower unit or just a gearbox?