96 johnson 150 fast strike bogging down

Status
Not open for further replies.

javelin96

Cadet
Alright 1996 fast strike 150. Motor will start and idle a little rough at first then idle fine. Does smoke a little to much i think. When in the water it will start and idle when its put in gear it wants to die. If it dont die and you give it throttle it will not plane out and starts bogging down. It will spit air every now and then but all the time.
I have replaced fuel pump, primer bulb, spark plugs and rebuilt carbs. Compression and spark test is good as well. What now?????

thanks for the help

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: 96 johnson 150 fast strike bogging down

check compression and spark, then go back and properly clean your carbs and check for fuel tank vent obstruction, bad fuel, fuel line sucking air...

javelin96

Cadet

Ok im going to try that, the compression and spark was good on all 6 a few days ago. the mechanic said it was the fuel pump after i replaced it i had the same problem. after the bulb finanly gets hard it doesnt take long for it to lose pressure and go soft. if you pump the bulb really hard one of the carbs will start leaking through the throat, should it be doing this??

Thanks

SparkieBoat

Captain

no it should NOT be doing that, you have a stuck/blocked needle valve and it is flooding that cylinder. remove your carb and fix it.

Hokieman

Recruit

I am having similar problems. Just had power head rebuilt and installed new lower unit. Motor runs great when first started and on first plane. After stopping and fishing for 10-15 minutes, motor will start but when I throttle up to go on plane, motor sputters and dies and then is hard to start unless I pump the bulb. My dealer just replaced the bulb as we were thinking that the old one was allowing the fuel to siphon from the carb back into the tank, but to my surprise, it did not help. Now trying a new power pack and that does not help either. It just seems that there is not enough fuel getting to the engine when I try to go on plane. Been fighting this now for 4 months and am getting worriede that all the nmoney I spent in putting this engine back to new was wasted. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class
Had same issue awhile back, turned out to be the optical sensor, ran good on first run, then the problem would start. I believe they were known for that. jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.