Help ! I have 2004 Johnson 175 Hp that will not get up to speed now!

BassBumNut

Recruit
I have a 2004 175 Hp Johnson that I am stumped on. It has had new power pack put on. It has had new plugs, wires and re-carbed. It runs great no rough idling or while powering up. It used to get up to 5500 rpms and run 55 mph plus. Now it gets about 43 mph tops. I thought that maybe it was a fuel issue anyway so I have hit the key choke while running and it had no affect. I also have pumped on the bulb while running at full speed and it had no affect (Primer bulb was tight and full). It does not miss hit and its firing on all cylinders.
It has been to the shop and they left the cables not tightened up. I think they are in correctly and have bypassed them just to check. It will rev up to 6000 RPM's not in gear. I am at a loss of what to try next.
I have had a bad stator before and I do not think that that is it( not the same symptoms)
I do not believe it is a fuel issue because it will rev past 6000 rpm's in neutral.
What do you all suggest that I try next?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help ! I have 2004 Johnson 175 Hp that will not get up to speed now!

Do a compression test,then a spark test.
If they are ok.
Clean carbs and check the fuel pump diaphram.
While carbs are off check the reeds.
Then the recirculation system.
Reving to 6000 with no load is NO problem for a weak fuel system.

hidef

Lieutenant

What do you mean by re-carbed? You said the cables were loose how did you tightened them? Did you use the adjusting knob on the cable or did you try to adjust something on the engine? You always adust the cables to the engine. What type of plugs were installed and are the wires the grey inductive type. What about the power pack who installed it. Was all this work completed by a dealer if so how long go? Maybe you need to take it back to them.

BassBumNut

Recruit

Do a compression test,then a spark test.
If they are ok.
Clean carbs and check the fuel pump diaphram.
While carbs are off check the reeds.
Then the recirculation system.
Reving to 6000 with no load is NO problem for a weak fuel system.

Thanks I will check that out!

BassBumNut

Recruit

What do you mean by re-carbed? You said the cables were loose how did you tightened them? Did you use the adjusting knob on the cable or did you try to adjust something on the engine? You always adust the cables to the engine. What type of plugs were installed and are the wires the grey inductive type. What about the power pack who installed it. Was all this work completed by a dealer if so how long go? Maybe you need to take it back to them.

A local boat shop re did the carbs.
They left the cables loose from the metal holders, they just did not put everything back into place. I will check out the cables. And yes I am leaning towards it being a power pack BUT, I have replaced several and I have never seen one do this if thats what it is. It maybe a bad power pack, I have a spare and we are going to find out Sat. Thanks for your help

SparkieBoat

Captain

link in my sig below for a DVA adapter and a free trouble shooting guide. By the way, I would recommend NOT revving your motor up to 6K when it is not under a load, that could be disastrous. sounds like maybe an incompetent mechanic, maybe carbs not done right or sucking air.