56 evinrude 5.5 fisherman questions

boatytoom

Cadet
Hey guys. New to the forum. Last week I got myself a new toy so I could do some fishing from more than just on the banks. It came with a trollin motor and although it works, I wanted a bit more umph.
NEWBOAT001.jpg

I just picked up a 1956 evinrude fisherman 5.5 hp. I bought it in non running condition with the original pressurized tank and stand for $75. Got it home, primed er up and had it running within about 6 pulls. Its only runnin while givin it quite abit of throttle so I pulled the carb and cleaned it. Ive been through hundreds of motorcycle carbs so I do know that they must be spotless, but my question is this.
Everything looked good except when I took the 2 needle valves out, it appered as if theres suppose to be an oring in there??? Something came out with it but it was in pieces. I imagine Ill just pick up a carb kit but didnt think it was necessary unless I do indeed need some type of o ring in there??? Otherwise I wouldnt bother doin it. The tank itself is very shiny on the inside. Next question is, it seems to be leakin oil from about everywhere. I know its not a good thing, but is it typical on these old motors? Like I said, I know it shouldnt but is it a major issue? Forgive me cuz this is my 1st outboard so I dont know the proper names for these parts so Ill take a couple pics. I also havent inspected the coils as of yet, but I will get to it.

evinrude001.jpg

evinrude002.jpg

evinrude003.jpg

evinrude004.jpg

evinrude007.jpg

I really appreciate all the help from everybody. THANKS GUYS...

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 56 evinrude 5.5 fisherman questions

Engine has obviously been overheated bad. Install new head and exhaust baffle plate gaskets along with a water pump.

boatytoom

Cadet

Is the exhaust baffle plate the brown discolored plate behind the fuel lines? I dont wanna stick a fortune in this but if it will be a good motor by droppin about $100 in it I wont mind.

codykoke

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The needles have cork packing around them to seal and hold tight. The packing can be purchased at napa but if the carb hasn't been rebuilt then it needs to be. Napa an iboats sell the kits. If the tank leaks the gasket can be had at napa. Also if the fuel fitting leaks the o rings can be replaced with omc not Sierra parts. Th exhaust is cooled by water (brown plate) make sure the gaskets are good

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

You might also check the ignition system over. Sometimes with an ignition system that's in bad shape, you will only be able to run it at wide open throttle.
As far as the exhaust cover, you will find that the 5.5's did not have an inner plate, to protect the paint from being burned, like the 7.5's did. The 7.5 had an inner plate that had water cooling the entire cover. Well, the 5.5's only had a tiny water jacket that was roughly 1/2" wide that ran vertically on the front portion. It still was not enough to keep the rest of it from getting burned. If you do, pull the exhaust cover, you can cut a piece of .060 aluminum or stainless, to match the gasket and install it between two new gaskets. That will keep your paint from getting burned. If you do this modification, you will want new screws about 1/4" longer to replace the originals.
It looks as though your paint is discolored even on the top of the powerhead as well, so you might want to check and make sure the pistons aren't scored.

ocwebmaster456

Recruit

How hot does the exhaust cover get? I have made sure every water port is clean, rebuilt the water pump, and replaced all oil seals. When I fire the motor up in a tank (garbage can) after about a minute the exhaust cover gets so hot that water thrown on it boils off. The other parts of the motor are warm to the touch (head, block) but the exhaust cover gets hot hot hot. Is this normal?

I have some parts from an old 7.5 and see that they had the inner plate/water-jacket thing. Wish it fit mine. Right size but screw holes are in the wrong place. Note: Warm/hot water does come out of the exhaust pipe thing so water is getting up into the motor and taking heat from the engine.

You might also check the ignition system over. Sometimes with an ignition system that's in bad shape, you will only be able to run it at wide open throttle.
As far as the exhaust cover, you will find that the 5.5's did not have an inner plate, to protect the paint from being burned, like the 7.5's did. The 7.5 had an inner plate that had water cooling the entire cover. Well, the 5.5's only had a tiny water jacket that was roughly 1/2" wide that ran vertically on the front portion. It still was not enough to keep the rest of it from getting burned. If you do, pull the exhaust cover, you can cut a piece of .060 aluminum or stainless, to match the gasket and install it between two new gaskets. That will keep your paint from getting burned. If you do this modification, you will want new screws about 1/4" longer to replace the originals.
It looks as though your paint is discolored even on the top of the powerhead as well, so you might want to check and make sure the pistons aren't scored.

nwcove

Admiral

hey ocw, the cover gets hot enough to burn the paint off of it.....but you should really ask your question in a thread started by you. ( just good forum manners!!)

ocwebmaster456

Recruit

hey ocw, the cover gets hot enough to burn the paint off of it.....but you should really ask your question in a thread started by you. ( just good forum manners!!)

Sorry nwcove. First post ever to a forum. Ha funny because I have set many up (I'm a webmaster) but never posted to them.

I will try to post this to a new thread. Sorry newbie here.