'76 Johnson Stinger 75 hp throttle/cable adjustment?

Paul Nelson

Recruit
Bought a used 76 Sea Sprite with a 75 hp Stinger. I put new spark plugs in this spring and it starts right up. When I took it out for the first time it ran well but as I gradually put it into the full forward/max speed position the engine was going well but seemed like it could go more rpms. So, I am tempted to try to adjust the cable to see if I can get more power and speed out of this old engine, but I am wondering if I should let it be and be happy with the smooth ride so far.

Its my first power boat, so any advice would be great. Thanks.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: '76 Johnson Stinger 75 hp throttle/cable adjustment?

Do the throttle plates go to wide open when the throttle is in the wide open position? If so, there is no need to adjust anything.

eavega

Lieutenant

Well, the only way to be sure whether or not you have more RPMs to go is to put a tach on the motor and see if you are running at max RPM at WOT. You can get a tach for about $50 used (or new, if you are not picky about the brand) and install it in about an hour, but until you know what speed your motor is running, you don't have a starting point to fix what may or may not be wrong.

Rgds

Paul Nelson

Recruit

Thanks, I believe the plates are wide open and a tach is already on the boat but not hooked up.