how to remove lower unit on 1961 Evinrude

hnkogan

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, All!
I am trying to tune up the evinrude 15034. I am using on line tutorial with pictures. My lowe unit won't come off. I removed the 5 bolts and it is hanging on internal rod. Not sure what to remove next. PLEASE HELP!
Pics enclosed:
15034 lower unit 001.jpg15034 lower unit 002.jpg15034 lower unit 003.jpg15034 lower unit 004.jpg
THANK YOU!
Hana

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: how to remove lower unit on 1961 Evinrude

Remove the oval plate from the side of the midsection. Inside, you will find the shift rod connector. Remove the lower bolt.

EDIT: When you put it back together, use a flashight ot peer in there and make sure the notch in the shift rod is aligned exactly with the bolt hole before inserting the bolt. If not aligned, the bolt will drag on the edge of the notch and it will wipe the threads off the bolt. Then it will fall out about 7 miles from the dock.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You need to disconnect the shift linkage. Look below at #13 a cover. Remove the cover and look inside you will see the shift linkage connector, there are two screws, I usually remove the lower one. The screw has to come all the way out. The picture below is NOT your engine, but is close enough so that you can see the cover.
http://www.ishopmarine.com/ishop/js...CatFilter=BRP&eCatSupFldr=supplier-100-005-EJ

hnkogan

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you! I neglected to say that the tuitorial did instruct one to remove the lower linkage bolt from mid-section. I did this before everything. Still the thing is hanging as in pictures..
Hana

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You took the lower bolt completely out, correct?
Either the shift linkage or the drive shaft is stuck.
Can you take a pair of needle nose pliers and move the shift shaft up out of the coupler?

hnkogan

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you! I actually just used a screwdriver. All I needed was an assurance that I am not breaking anything.
The impeller needs to be changed, everything else looks practically new. While it is open and I am at it, how do I change the oil, rubber rings etc in what I think is called the gear box(or assembly?) Thank you!
Hana

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Look for 2 large slotted head screws, DO NOT touch the phillips head screw.
Remove both slotted screws, one on the bottom of the skeg and one up by the cavation plate, let the oil drain and then fill from the BOTTOM screw until it comes out of the TOP screw. Make sure to install new seal washers on both slotted screws.

hnkogan

Seaman Apprentice

Evin15034_oil_change 001.jpgEvin15034_oil_change 002.jpgEvin15034_oil_change 003.jpgEvin15034_oil_change 004.jpgEvin15034_oil_change 005.jpgThanks!!
I drained the oil.
1. Should the unit be laying flat when I pour in the new oil? (I do not see other way to do it..)
2. There are NO WASHERS on those bolts!!
I did find the residue of some black goooey stuff (first 2 pics) in the upper hole. I think they are eaten up by time erosion..but I have no sample now to match.

In general, the motor is 50 years old and at this point I have opened it enough to bet that it was never even serviced!!! There is not a single bolt head or nut touched by screwdriver or the wrench!

So I would like to do well by it and open everything that may need some seals, etc changed. To make sure I did not miss anything. So, on the lower unit, should the "gearcase" (or whatever it is called) be opened? (the 2 bolts in the last pic)?
Thanks tons, everyone!
Hana

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If that thing was run without gear oil, you can bet the farm that it is totally shot. The pinion bushing in that model is marginal at best, and simply cannot stand running without lube. It is an integral part of the gearcase and cannot be replaced. Whenit is worn, the shaft moves to one side, the pinion gear moves with it, and that throws all the gears out of alignment.

OK, to answer your question, you either buy the oil in a squeeze tube, or you buy it in a bottle, and a little hand pump made for the purpose. Either way, unit right side up, oil goes in the bottom till it comes out the top.

kfa4303

Banned

Hello again Hanah. Glad you got the lower unit off. Let's try to answer your questions.

1.) No. The motor should be upright. You will pump new oil in using the bottom DRAIN hole until it comes out of the upper VENT hole. You then install the Vent screw, disconnect the oil pump and quickly install the Drain screw. Here's a link to a vid for a gear oil change on a motor very similar to yours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neYroHtSheQ

2.) There should be a thick, white, nylon washer used on both the Drain and Vent screws. They come in a Lower Unit Seal kit, which also comes with the oil seals and o-rings you need to make the gearcase water tight. You can get a kit right here at iboats for about $20. Here's a link showing a lower unit seal job. It's for a different model than your motor, but the basic steps are the same/similar. you'll also want to some gear case sealant such as 3M 847, also available here.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=277190&highlight=lower+unit+seal+kit+installation

The black goo in the upper hole is just crud. It should clean up nicely with acetone. Make sure an old nylon washer isn't stuck in there. If you do find one, be sure to remove it.
No, the gearcase should never be run, or submerged with any openings in it whatsoever. It should be a water tight compartment filled with 80-90w outboard lower unit gear oil. 1 qt. is plenty and you can find it at any boating store, Wal-mart, and many auto parts stores for about $5. Here's a pic of the oil and pump.

LU oil pump.jpglower unit oil.jpg

hnkogan

Seaman Apprentice

Never opened does NOT mean have run without oil. It was not used in years!
I got at least 3 cups of oil out of it. THe problem: The oil is milky beige, which means there is water mixed in. Which means I have to change the seals (Not just those on the bolts!). Are these included in the Lower Unit Seal Kit?
1. I have no idea where the lower unit seals are located.
2. "The black goo in the upper hole is just crud." No, imagine that those wer the washers! Aceton was of no use. I got the lower one in a semblence iof round shape, but the top one I just had to scrape off, fiber by fiber!
3. The stuff I found is SAE 90. I assume it is OK, as it was recommended in one of the videos.(?)
4. Where does the gear case sealant go?
Thank you for very informative videos and pics!
Thanks All!
Hana

AlTn

Commander

just my 2 cents here, Hana..but that lower unit lube doesn't look bad to me considering its age...did any water at all come out when you opened the drain screw?..if not..why not just refill with 80/90 w. Marine Gearcase Lube , install new gaskets < they resemble nylon washers> , run it a few hours, then check for water intrusion the next day by slowly opening the drain screw until water or oil appear. If no water is present you are good to go. If water is there then a reseal is probably in order if you use the engine frequently. If infrequent, you can drain after each use and refill as needed.

hnkogan

Seaman Apprentice

No water, just this yellow goo. Actually, the top of it was much more transluscent, It appears that the unit was standing unused so long, it may even be rainwater. The water impeller had half of its fins almost straight, the other half was bent from resting again the housing!
However, I would consider replacing all gaskets if it is not VERY hard. I will be able to judge how hard it is once I know what is involved.
Hence the question stands: How to replace lower unit seals (gaskets?) on Evinrude 1961?
Thanks!
Hana

kfa4303

Banned

Hi hanna. You're right that "milky" oil is the telltale sign that there's water in the oil, but you said the top of the oil was still pretty clear, which is a good sign. If a perfect world, the gear oil goes in looking like honey, but should never get "milky", although if it gets, black and stinky overtime then that's actually ok. I like Altn's idea of simply refilling the gearcase with oil and running it in the water for a few hours, then checking the condition of the oil. If you're really, really lucky it will still look like honey and you should be ok. You do need to use outboard lower unit gear oil. It's available at Walmart for about $5 a qt. There's enough oil in 1 qt. to do many refills of the gearcase, if need be.

A lower unit seal kit does come with the nylon washers as well as a propshaft oil seal, which is visible if you remove the propeller and look down the prop shaft. You'll see what looks like a metal disc around the propshaft at its base, but if you look closely you'll see that it has a distinct border between it and the housing. It's removed with a tool called a seal puller, after you've completely disassembled the gear case. You put the propshaft bearing in a vice and lever out the seal. There is also a driveshaft seal found underneath the impeller plate. It is also leveraged out using the seal puller as well. The seals can be very stubborn and you often have to snip, clip and chip them out, so be careful of their soft aluminum housings. There is also a "spaghetti" seal, which is like a rubber noodle that is install in a groove between the two halves of the gearcase and coated with sealant. The sealant the manufacturer recommends is called 3M 847. It's usually not sold in stores and you'll probably have to order it, but it's readily available at amazon and other sites. It's about $20+ for a toothpaste size tube, however. So some folks use easier to get products like Permatex 1000, Ultra Black or Aviation gasket sealant. There are also a couple of o-rings that usually come is a LU seal kit. One goes on top of the driveshaft and outside of the propshaft bearing. There is also one that the lower shift rod passes through and a very tiny one that the shift rod pivot screws, which is the only phillipshead screw on the gearcase. You apply the gasket sealant to the mating surfaces of the gearcase halves as well as the gear case screws and perimeter of the oil seals themselves. The seals look sort of like metal donuts with black rubber bands and a very thin spring inside them. You tap them into their respective housings and then inset the driveshaft and propshaft and reassamble the whole kit and kaboodle. It's a lot of work at first, but well worth doing if need be and you'll learn a lot about the motor. If you do it right, you shouldn't have to do it again for many, many years.

Lower Unit seal kit picture.jpgSeal_Puller.jpg