82, johnson 9.9 shifting problems

pastor345

Recruit
I just bought is motor, took it out and started first pull. I put in forward ran it for 15 min then stopped and fished for 30 min. Restarted shifted in forward work fine then neutral then reverse worked fine then forward ran for 5 min turned off. When I restarted it stuck in reverse and after working with it got in forward, while taking it back to the dock at slow idle it staled and would not let me pull start it unless turned the tiller handle all the way to the left then the pull string would release and after a couple times it started . What could this be , Thanks

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 82, johnson 9.9 shifting problems

Welcome to iboats

First I would suggest you get a manual.

Sounds like the shift rod connector is slipping and needs to be tightened inside the lower leg.

raczekp1

Lieutenant

protector to not start motor while is on gear.
i would threw away this protector

boobie

Supreme Mariner

That's a safety feature and shouldn't be messed with. Fix the probs in the mtr and you should be okay.

pastor345

Recruit

Thanks I found the problem I tore the lower unit down and found the shifter level /Yoke assy was broke so that part a few seals and a o-ring and lube back FISHING
I just bought is motor, took it out and started first pull. I put in forward ran it for 15 min then stopped and fished for 30 min. Restarted shifted in forward work fine then neutral then reverse worked fine then forward ran for 5 min turned off. When I restarted it stuck in reverse and after working with it got in forward, while taking it back to the dock at slow idle it staled and would not let me pull start it unless turned the tiller handle all the way to the left then the pull string would release and after a couple times it started . What could this be , Thanks