1970 Evinrude 40hp 40072A....running HOT..!

BC Derek

Cadet
Hello again..

I have checked over my impeller and it is OK...put it all back together to try it out and mainly steam comes out of the outlet opening with spurts of hot water..and then after a few minutes the engine hot light comes on..
The thermostat is opening OK but I dont think there is enough water going thru' the cooling system...is it possible there could be a blockage in the tubes..? I know that the engine was run without the filter on the water intake...so does anyone think that debris could be in the cooling tubes..? if so what can I do to clear them ..?

Thanks Derek in BC Canada

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1970 Evinrude 40hp 40072A....running HOT..!

Nah, you could throw a screaming cat through those water tubes. Now about that water intake---are you saying the screen is missing off the intake behind the prop? That would make it run hot if it is still missing.

Are you running it on a boat on the lake, or in a bucket?

BC Derek

Cadet
Re: 1970 Evinrude 40hp 40072A....running HOT..!

Hello..

Iam running it in a tub at the moment...there are 2 covers that were missing and the last owner used it this way ...one I replaced part number 308340 on the side of the gear case.The other part 308333 at the prop area is still missing. So you think that this missing cover will make it run hot ..?