72 johnson 65 hp 65esl72s starting issues

bublitzjos

Cadet
Hi I am new at this site and would greatly appreciate some help on a couple things. First off i just got this boat a 72 starcraft and it has the johnson 65 hp outboard, It is the hydroelectric and i have the johnson hydroelectric lower unit oil in it when i go to start it the prop turns with the flywheel and the remote is in nuetral I am not sure if the switch in box is bad or solenoids in lower unit. i hear 1 wire with power is nuetral, both wires with power reverse and no power in both is forward, i went to check this theory and had power on first wire i checked then i bumped wire against powerhead and made small spark but now i get no power coming from starter solenoid is that now bad, and the shift thing any help would be appreciated. thanks

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: 72 johnson 65 hp 65esl72s starting issues

You probably blew the 20 amp fuse under the cowling. The lower unit will stay in fwd gear until you start the motor.

bublitzjos

Cadet

thanks bhile, i looked for fuse and saw a 30 amp fuse but it looks like it is coming from battery to remote control box, i can't tell if blown the little metal piece inside is intact, where exactly is this 20 amp fuse supposed to be i have a repair manual for my outboard but it doesn't show where fuse is located and with the starter solenoid 12v power is to that but i get no voltage present at the other terminals with key on and with key cranking is that because of the fuse thanks

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

on my 1971 60hp Johnson...the 20 amp inline fuse is right next to the coil...did not like the short glass fuse and changed it over to
an inline flat blade type 20 amp fuse...easier to find replacements...

bublitzjos

Cadet

thanks starcraft i will look tom morning i know all wires have previously been wrapped with electric tape so maybe there will be something in there. the 30 amp one located on wire going from battery to remote control box is glass cylinder should i replace that with different type, anyway the wires that are wrapped with tape has to be cut open to see if i can locate a fuse as i cannot feel anything hard along the path of wires. also i had power probed the two shift wires to see if i could hear them click or something but nothing happened is that normal from what i understand is that the solenoids are powered by 12v when a shift occurs, also power is at 12v to starter solenoid but nothing else still, i will check for fuse tomorrow and post soon thanks everyone

bublitzjos

Cadet

also i will post the fix when it works so keep posting please it is greatly appreciated :)

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Keep on looking for a blown fuse. You can check any fuse with an ohmmeter. You can get them real cheap at Radio Shack.

bublitzjos

Cadet

ok i found fuse after unwrapping the tape it was bad so i replaced solenoid clicks again, i have never attempted to start this motor and i know the starter is bad (magnet broken inside casing) but i hear you can hand start these is that true and why is prop turning with flywheel even though i have in nuetral i am not sure if it needs to build up the hydraulic pressure after it is running to disengage like valve body and how hard should it be to hand crank i don't want to do any damage as this is the first boat i have owned thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you want to hand start this mtr do it on muffs in your yard. Don't try it with the boat in the water due to the lower unit you have. Get the starter fixed.

bublitzjos

Cadet

is it possible to spark test this motor by hand cranking?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Take the plugs out and try it. Should jump a 7/16 " open air gap on a spark tester.