Low water flow from the tell tale

dmoriarty51

Petty Officer 1st Class
Took the 1995 70hp out today, to run it around some with the family. Everything went great untill the end. Ran back to the no wake zone chopped the throttle looked back at my own wake trying to swamp me and noticed i am barely dribbling water from the tell tale... No bags weeds or any other garbage blocking it, started it again same story. flow does pick up a bit with rpm. I assume that during the full throttle cleanout blast of about 2 minutes the impeller either came apart or inhaled something and the cup spun or.......who knows. I know it happened then as I am super anal about looking at that darn stream every chance i get. I have a water pressure gauge to install just chose not to do it today and ran the boat instead.

Guess i know what the morning brings, the worst part is this impeller was new last fall and has probably about 10 hours on it.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Low water flow from the tell tale

If that model is still using the small plastic water telltale outlet, they're known to clog from time to time time. Either disconnect the hose to clean it out OR simply run a piece of safety with up that fitting. If that doesn't help, then go into the water pump.

dmoriarty51

Petty Officer 1st Class

good point, will have to drag it back to the water and check that.

dmoriarty51

Petty Officer 1st Class

muffs wont give an accurate read tho will it joe?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

No but it would show if that fitting is clogged or not.

dmoriarty51

Petty Officer 1st Class

already went to run it again, seems that it was indeed clogged. shows a perfect stream again in the river, i went ahead and added my pressure gauge before i went also, something like 5-6 lbs idling and around 14-18 at 4500rpm based on reading this seems acceptable?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I assume that the stream was weak prviously BUT after cleaning the clogged fitting, the stream was then strong and steady? If so, good.

I'll let someone else comment of the pressure gauge reading as I never really got into that area.