new rectifier 3 unmarked yellow 1 red?

67Heaven

Cadet
Hi all! Got a 77 Johnson 35hp. Bought a new rectifier that has 3 unmarked yellow wires & a red wire. I thought I read on here before that those 3 yellow wires are interchangeable because of the AC current. After I installed it I swear my tach is reading higher than before. I had paperwork on the tach stating my motor is a 5 pulse motor. How should I have my yellow /gray, yellow /blue, & yellow wires hooked up and am I right on the 5 pulse for this motor?

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
Re: new rectifier 3 unmarked yellow 1 red?

You have a 4 wire rectifier. It doesnt matter where the yellow wires land. It is a 5 pulse.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Try switching the tach lead to a different yellow wire and see what happens.

67Heaven

Cadet

Thanks guys. I thought about switching to a different yellow lead but didn't wanna try til I got another person suggesting the same thing. We'll give it a go tomorrow.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

Thats not really how bridge rectifiers work.

Haffiman

Commander

The tach signal must be taken from the yellow/gray from the stator.
The rectifier just hook the different yellow to the ones coming from the stator, it does not matter.
The reason for the stator to have different coloring, is when using as lightening coil without rectifier. You will then have to connect according to a special diagram depending on number of bulbs and amps you are hooking up.