Help with old johnson

I have a 1979 Johnson 4 hp. I was using it the other day and it was running mint. I put it in the back of my jeep and took it home and put it in my garage and the next morning I tried to start it and neither cylinder is getting spark. It didn't bounce around in my jeep or get slammed or anything. Can anyone help I don't know a whole lot about the old out boards.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Help with old johnson

Your engine uses a sensor under the flywheel and a power pack. You are going to have to trouble shoot the ignition system. You can go to CDI's website and find your engine and use their troubleshooting guide.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Check the grounds on the power pack and the other wiring for a loose connection.

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class

And your engine isn't old.In fact it's much newer than most of us would want to fiddle with LOL

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens

Is kill switch in tiller handle like 4.5hp ?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I have a 1979 Johnson 4 hp. I was using it the other day and it was running mint. I put it in the back of my jeep and took it home and put it in my garage and the next morning I tried to start it and neither cylinder is getting spark. It didn't bounce around in my jeep or get slammed or anything. Can anyone help I don't know a whole lot about the old out boards.

Good thing it didn't bounce around in the back of the Jeep. It might look like this one.
:D:D:D
0422122006-00.jpg

I guess I shouldn't have called it an old Johnson lol. It doesn't have a killswitch it has the slide in the front that says start, fast, slow and stop.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, trust me friend. Your Johnson is not old. Now my Johnson? Now that's old. LOL. It's a 1955 and still a very sound engine and runs decent, even with bad coils. I will admit though, your little Johnson is a decendant of my little drink mixer in the picture.