1953 johnson 10hp stuck in gear

Haus

Seaman Apprentice
the motor has not been used in 15+yrs. and im trying to get it running again. its stuck in gear. the gear oil is clean (not milky) i dropped the bottom end, and i still cant shift it by hand. i dont want to split the gear case as the seals are still good. its a QD-14. any ideas? thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1953 johnson 10hp stuck in gear

You could try draining the lower unit and fill it with some type of solvent and let it set and see if it will break loose for you.

Haus

Seaman Apprentice

the prop spins with the drive shaft. just cant get it out of gear

AlTn

Commander

any build up where the lower shift rod enters the bushing?...could be frozen there or as Daviet points out, the dog isn't moving on the propshaft for whatever reason and a soak with solvent might free it

64osby

Admiral

Is the shift rod moving or not?

If it's moving and it won't shift sounds like you need to break it open. If the shift rod is not moving you could try the solvent method, but if there is issues you might be better off popping it open and checking it out. The spaghetti seal is not that hard to replace

PO could have drained and refilled a bad LU to make it look better for selling it.

Haus

Seaman Apprentice

we got the motor about 10-15yrs ago at a garage sale...

anyways, the shift rod wont move, and it was stuck in rev. gears moved when i turned the prop.
i pulled it apart and found the shift fork was bent and disconnected from the sliding gear selector part ( sorry i dont know the correct names of all the gears and parts). i straightened it out, put it back together and shifts good now.

now on to getting it started