whats the best way to remove old oil sludge from an old Johnson 6 gallon gas tank

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer
Re: whats the best way to remove old oil sludge from an old Johnson 6 gallon gas tank

outside, easy.............. inside, impossible

nwcove

Admiral
Re: whats the best way to remove old oil sludge from an old Johnson 6 gallon gas tank

do a search in the forum, there are many posts on that subject.

whiskerchasin

Seaman Apprentice

Good solvent, COPPER BB's. With solvent and copper bb's in the tank shake it, shake it, shake it like a polaroid picture. Pour out bbs and spent solvent, rinse with new solvent at least 3 times until clean.

markheb

Cadet

There's all kinds of ways to get it out, but my question is WHY????.. No matter how well you clean out the rust, you won't get all of the microscopic particles out AND it will rust again. Also, if it is rusting it will eventually rust through and leak. Do yourself a favor and fill it with concrete - tie a rope on the handle and you have a new anchor. $35 on a new plastic tank will save you a lot of headaches.

Morel_Master

Seaman Apprentice

ummm...yessir, went to gander mountain this morning and outfitted a new tank and fitting!! to hell with that old tank , just gonna keep as a wall hanger in garage!! i thought it would be easier!! boy was i wrong!!