1997 175HP Evinrude Ocean Pro

reef donkey

Cadet
I have a 175 HP Evinrude, the problem is with idling, When the engine is warm, when you crank it up and put into gear then engine will die, when you go into wide open throttle it is fine,in neutrel it runs fine, all this happens after the engine is warm. An evinrude technician told me that the carb. motors with todays type of fuel the carbs are vapor locking,as soon as the butterfly vavles barely crack open is when the problem comes into play. He said there is no solution for the problem and the best thing to do before you shut the engine off is to push in the choke for 2 to 3 seconds and then turn the key off. The reasoning behind this when you turn off a hot engine the water runs out of the block the heat goes to the carbs and then they vapor lock. Has anyone ever heard of this or had this problem? FIXED ITEMS: Power Pack,Coils,Stater,VRO fuel pump,cleaned carbs,OSI sensor and new plugs! Thank you! :facepalm:

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1997 175HP Evinrude Ocean Pro

I think it is bull**** what he told you. The idle adjustments are out or something. I have never had an engine present these problems without being able to fix it. He sounds like he is on "ethanol excuse". Fixed items: Are you absolutely sure they are "fixed"

Get back to basics. Compression (or bleed down which is best) Spark. Timing. Fuel delivery. Do them in sequence and don't play guessing games.

SparkieBoat

Captain

off idle stall is usually either idle passage(s) are clogged, idle air screws are out of adjustment or timing or linkage. check compression and spark first just to rule them out.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Just for the heck of it, the next time you start it up when it's warm, let it idle for awhile before putting it in gear. Get back to us with what happens.

reef donkey

Cadet

Yesterday went out for a water test after a rebuild on the carburetor the motor ran fine. I ran it for about 45 min. Before turning it off, i pushed in the choke for 3 to 4 secs. started it back up that seem to help,It was off for about one hour, ran it for for about two hours. Now the motor will run at 900 rpm it goes to about 1100 rpm it will die, but go up to 1300 to 1400 rpm it will run fine this will happen cold or hot now.