Etec 65 problem with cold weather?

Platypus E65

Seaman
Temps were around 16 F with winds around 15 mph making it feel roughly -3 degrees F. Motor was running fine until I had the lower unit above water for an hour or so. I completely forgot about keeping it in the water at the time. After that I noticed it was running a bit weak but the 18 ft lund planed after adjusting the weight around some. About a half hour later the motor weakened even more after a short stop (motor was idling) until eventually I was running about 7 mph full throttle. The original plugs sounded like they were both running fine with just a few sputters during the couple hours coming home in rough waters. I topped off the injection oil before going out so that shouldn't be the problem (I had let it unknowingly run out once before). Would keeping the lower unit out of the water for some time in the cold cause the motor to run pretty weak or would it be something else causing it?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Etec 65 problem with cold weather?

If the mtr was left in the down position you should have no prob as they are self draining. You have other probs.

hidef

Lieutenant

I would be checking the water pump impeller

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I'm just curious. Why the water pump ??

Haffiman

Commander

I would have replaced the fuel filters. Any 'moisture' and they gets restricted. Even check the fuel tank and connectors.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Are you using the Evinrude XD-100 synthetic oil in it as that is required when running in freezing temperatures?

Is the thermostat working to keep the motor about 140-160? at idle?

The fuel pressures should also be checked and recorded while the motor is not running right.

All 3 items are very important to making the E-TEC run correctly in cold climates.

Platypus E65

Seaman

If the mtr was left in the down position you should have no prob as they are self draining. You have other probs.
It was but at a 45 degree or so angle.

I would be checking the water pump impeller

OK thanks. I didn't check to see if any water was coming out of the pisser when I started the motor. Would that cause the weakening?

I would have replaced the fuel filters. Any 'moisture' and they gets restricted. Even check the fuel tank and connectors.

I'll do that once I get my hands on some. I've heard of others having fuel problems with their motors here.

Are you using the Evinrude XD-100 synthetic oil in it as that is required when running in freezing temperatures?

Is the thermostat working to keep the motor about 140-160? at idle?

The fuel pressures should also be checked and recorded while the motor is not running right.

All 3 items are very important to making the E-TEC run correctly in cold climates.

Yes, I'm using the XD100 oil.
How and where on the motor do I check the temp and fuel pressure?

hidef

Lieutenant

Boobie Water turns very hard at 16* F with the engine tilted the water pump and other passages won't drain completely. However because the block was hot it would take a while to freeze. The water pump impeller however doesn't have the luxury off hot water. I would not be surprised if half of the vanes froze and were possibly damaged when he restarted the engine. When operating in cold water / weather always leave the engine down and in the water.

If the water pump wasn't pumping the engine would go into slow mode or the Etec version of it.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The OP said he only had it out of the water " for an hour or so ". Can't see it freezing in that short of time.

hidef

Lieutenant

Never overlook the simple things, if he had left it down I would say he has other issues, but because he tilted it up. Plus the water he was running in was probably around 40 degrees or less. It doesn't take as long for really cold water to freeze as you think it would.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I do know a little bit about water and freezing as I orginally came from Northern WI.

Platypus E65

Seaman

Sorry for ignoring this thread for so long. I just got around to trying out the 65 a couple days ago and it ran fine for about ten hours. Like hidef, I'm guessing the impeller froze up during the time I had it out of the water in the freezing temps. I don't remember how strong the 65 originally pumped water but it's not as strong as my 55 hp.