1976 4HP Evinrude controls identification help!

See attached pictures. I have just obtained a 1976 Evinrude 4hp 2-cylinder outboard. It has various controls on front, one of which is slightly broke off. It's on the bottom in the center. I have no clue what this knob is for. Also it has speed controls on the front AND the side? Also I can only find one lower unit screw to change the oil. What is the srarting procedure for this engine?Outboard2.jpgOutboard1.jpgOutboard3.jpg

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1976 4HP Evinrude controls identification help!

The knob on the bottom is a "high speed needle valve adjustment which should be open about 1 full turn. The one on the top is a "low speed" needle valve adjustment which should be open about 1 1/2 turns. Both of these settings are approximate and should be fine tuned while running the motor. To start the motor, if it has a remote tank, pump fuel primer until firm, open fuel tank vent, pull out the choke, put throttle on "start". Pull cord. One oil drain screw is all there is on that motor.

Also, the broken knob still operates, and turns left and right.

The knob on the bottom is a "high speed needle valve adjustment which should be open about 1 full turn. The one on the top is a "low speed" needle valve adjustment which should be open about 1 1/2 turns. Both of these settings are approximate and should be fine tuned while running the motor. To start the motor, if it has a remote tank, pump fuel primer until firm, open fuel tank vent, pull out the choke, put throttle on "start". Pull cord. One oil drain screw is all there is on that motor.

Which way is open? One full turn left or right? Sorry, I'm as virgin as they come.....

hidef

Lieutenant

Turn the jets to the right to close them. Do not over tighten them you want to gently close the jet and then turn them back to the factory settings. The fuel mix for your engine is 24:1 using TC-W3 two stroke oil.

Thee 4 horse is a great little engine things to look out for is the water pump impeller should be changed if you don't know how old it is. The fuel pump can breakdown with time but can easily be rebuilt, also fuel lines can also deteriorate over time and breakdown from ethanol in the fuel.

If you don't have a service manual I recommend you purchase the BRP/OMC manual for your outboard.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-manuals.php?Year=1976&HP=4&Model=4606

Turn the jets to the right to close them. Do not over tighten them you want to gently close the jet and then turn them back to the factory settings. The fuel mix for your engine is 24:1 using TC-W3 two stroke oil.

Thee 4 horse is a great little engine things to look out for is the water pump impeller should be changed if you don't know how old it is. The fuel pump can breakdown with time but can easily be rebuilt, also fuel lines can also deteriorate over time and breakdown from ethanol in the fuel.

If you don't have a service manual I recommend you purchase the BRP/OMC manual for your outboard.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-manuals.php?Year=1976&HP=4&Model=4606

Yes, got the Clymer book from the library. It is dripping fuel from the broken control knob. Hopefully it isn't what's leaking. Could it be from pumping the bulb too much to send the fuel up?