• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

How to wire the tilt on a 88 Johnson 115

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to wire the tilt on a 88 Johnson 115

I brought a 88 Johnson, the guy said it was a 115 but Johnson didn't make a 115 that year so I dunno. I have the engine wired however I don't know what to do with the tilt.

This guy has a separate switch for the tilt I think it's a 3way switch. I figure out the power (up/down) and ground cables. However I have another 2 cables that are separate from the 3 cable wire that I don't know where it goes. There is also an external solenoid that was used in the setup before which I have no idea how to hook it up. The switch itself has 3 long wires.

I know the thick cable is the power but what about the 2 thin cables?
    Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Re: How to wire the tilt on a 88 Johnson 115

pictures would help

they had 2 wires setups and three wires setups....

you are not sure of the year..( whats the model number on the tag?)

so it is going to be hard to answer....plus there are wires to trim imdicators that dont power the unit up or down...

I have a 1988 70 hp and think they used the same trim unit for my 70 as they did for many V4s.

two wires green and blue run to the unit...

bob

Comment

Originally posted by bob johnson View Post
      pictures would help

they had 2 wires setups and three wires setups....

you are not sure of the year..( whats the model number on the tag?)

so it is going to be hard to answer....plus there are wires to trim imdicators that dont power the unit up or down...

I have a 1988 70 hp and think they used the same trim unit for my 70 as they did for many V4s.

two wires green and blue run to the unit...

bob
      I took some pictures. Also the serial number is: J1148804
      Click image for larger version

Name:	1083b1183f0869549c9a954daddc7d2d.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	128705

Name:	9b64b2523c080afba7696845f3e5bd91.jpg
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	128706

Name:	e66ace308c03e9f78d585cf12ca2b800.jpg
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	128707
      Thanks for any help.

Comment

Originally posted by simplesolid View Post
        I took some pictures. Also the serial number is: J1148804

Name:	1083b1183f0869549c9a954daddc7d2d.jpg
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	128705

Name:	9b64b2523c080afba7696845f3e5bd91.jpg
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	128706

Name:	e66ace308c03e9f78d585cf12ca2b800.jpg
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	128707
        Thanks for any help.

the serial number doesnt do us any good...we need the model number.. and the pictures are upside down....??????????????

cant help you like that....once you right the pictures you could tell us what you are taking a picture of.....or add some text to the picture...

bob

Comment

the serial number doesnt do us any good...we need the model number.. and the pictures are upside down....??????????????

cant help you like that....once you right the pictures you could tell us what you are taking a picture of.....or add some text to the picture...

bob

Funny I have no idea why the pictures uploaded upside down, they are right side up on my computer. I'll try to send them again.

I found out that they 2 thin wires are for the trim indicator. So now I just need to figure out how to connect the 3 way switch and the 3 wires (up/down/ground) into the solenoid.

I'll add text to the pics and reupload them soon.

Comment

Re: How to wire the tilt on a 88 Johnson 115 - Fixed pic

Here is the picture hopefully right side up. I added some text to it as well.

Name:	019add8b9a948443d8ceafc7d7e8fa92.jpg
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	128720

The model number is: 16AHCXKWB - I searched google for this, but the only result was a seadrive 1.6L but mine is not a seadrive, well unless it was converted.
            Thanks for your time.

Comment

Joe Reeves answered a question like this last week, hopefully he will chime in and give you the diagram for what you are trying to do. Good luck

Comment

OMC used a single solenoid in their 3-wire trim system. The solenoid was used to control the trim motor "up" movement only. That 3 wire motor/system was used until midway through the 1981 model year. At that point, the motor changed to a 2 wire system and the solenoid was replaced by solid state relays. You may find some appropriate wiring diagrams in the first thread or two at the top of the first page of this form.

Comment

Originally posted by emdsapmgr View Post
                  OMC used a single solenoid in their 3-wire trim system. The solenoid was used to control the trim motor "up" movement only. That 3 wire motor/system was used until midway through the 1981 model year. At that point, the motor changed to a 2 wire system and the solenoid was replaced by solid state relays. You may find some appropriate wiring diagrams in the first thread or two at the top of the first page of this form.
                  Thanks, The original wiring diagram doesn't help much. The original switch was built into the control box. On this outboard the trim control was broken and was replaced by an external 3 way switch.

I'll look again at the diagrams to see if I missed something.

Comment

Something strange happened while I was trying to figure out how to wire the tilt and trim with the 3 way switch.
                    Whenever I plug the 'up' positive cable into the solenoid it goes down.

If I plug it straight into the battery it goes up. What can cause this?

Comment

well like someone has mentioned there was no 115 hp made in 1988...and since your TRIM solenoid doesnt look anything like the units made in 1988...and since you havent posted a model number that corresponds to an OMC outboard motor...we are left wondering what we are workign with...

since there are several ways to activate a tilt and trim unit....it could have very well been gerry rigged by a previous owner.

got a picture of the motor? and look up that MODEL number. in the early 890s and later they had a pattern to the model numbers to make it easily discernable from other years....like J115SLCCM as an example

bob

Comment

well like someone has mentioned there was no 115 hp made in 1988...and since your TRIM solenoid doesnt look anything like the units made in 1988...and since you havent posted a model number that corresponds to an OMC outboard motor...we are left wondering what we are workign with...

since there are several ways to activate a tilt and trim unit....it could have very well been gerry rigged by a previous owner.

got a picture of the motor? and look up that MODEL number. in the early 890s and later they had a pattern to the model numbers to make it easily discernable from other years....like J115SLCCM as an example

bob
                        Bob,

The model number is: 16AHCXKWB - I searched google for this, but the only results I got was for a seadrive 1.6L but mine is not a seadrive, well unless it was converted.
                        I cant upload pictures because it uploads them upside down even though they are upside up.

Comment

yeah nothing makes sense....at least to me....so......lets see a picture of the motor...or two!!

bob

Comment

yeah nothing makes sense....at least to me....so......lets see a picture of the motor...or two!!

bob
                            Here are some pictures, I had to send the pics to twitpic because over here in the forum they show up as upside down. Not sure why.

Links below:

http://twitpic.com/9g20m3
                            http://twitpic.com/9g21er
                            http://twitpic.com/9g21tt

Comment

Is the red wire from the switch hooked to a hot side on your solenoid? on your wires from the motor, the black cable with the big flat lug will be a ground. if the red wire is hot(small wire) then you can hit your switch and one of the purple or green wire should be hot with the switch pushed up.then you could hook it up to each end of the wires from the motor but this is not good practice as the switch is probably not made to withstand this. in reality you should use a two solenoid setup. you got everything there just need another solenoid and a couple short battery cables.

Comment

Working...
                              X